Is salad healthy or unhealthy?

iVillage Member
Is salad healthy or unhealthy?
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 3:44pm
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 11:56am

Salads can be way unhealthy..or..healthy..depending on how or if you tweak it!

Order it without cheese, bacon and anything breaded and fried. Ask for the dressing on the side.

Dressings can be tricky....

I order honey/mustard dressing on the side. While it's fat free unless they use the kind with mayo in it, the honey adds sugar and calories. I chop my salad up and eat very little of the dressing on the tips of my fork tines. A wee bit of dressing goes a long way when you keep cutting and mixing up your salad.

Lite or fat free dressings are high in sugar. When fat is removed, more sugar is added for taste. If you can get it without fats or sugar, the taste is not so good.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 12:21pm

Yeah, gives you fits, doesn't it? Honestly, people cannot eat healthy when they go out. . .doesn't matter if it is on the light menu or not. Everything is laden with copious amounts of salt, sugar and fat.

A salad like the one you linked is basically my caloric intake for a day and that is ONE meal.

My salads consist of greens, baby carrots, tomatoes, occasionally sugar snap peas and a sprinkling of feta cheese.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 4:07pm

what kind of dressing?

I like a really nice tossed salad with a couple kinds of lettuce, cukes, toms diced, shredded carrots, radishes, chopped up fennel bulb (try that one Twoki, it adds a kinda of anisette sweet flavor), I love some arugula in my salad if we have that... etc...

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 5:12pm
Usually none, Suzan. I'll occasionally will splurge and have blue cheese, but on the whole, I won't use dressing.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-20-2010 - 10:24am
I like EVOO and balsamic, too, for dressing and I also add some basil for added flavor and sometimes a tad of oregano. I also like honey mustard dressing, not the creamy kind though.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-21-2010 - 12:25pm

I love salads--mixed greens with tomatoes, onions, celery, cukes, shredded carrots, cabbage, sometimes crumbled feta, low fat (1%) cheese and lean meat (when I'm eating as a meal). I usually mix olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, oregano. But I like a German spiced vinagar for greens that I can still get. Ginger is good with chicken and mandarin oranges in a salad.

I like making my own dressings so I don't have all the fat and sugars.

Michelle/mica_ga

Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom.

--Rubin, Theodore Isaac

Michelle/mica_ga

Kindness is more important than wisdom,

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 3:57pm
I make my own too!
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 7:03pm

like donna said...it all depends on what you put in or on your salad. my doc has told me that for years. i mostly like sprinkling olive oil & basalmic vinegar on mine.i do like different vinegars and i buy healthy options salad dressing.

i get salad dressings on the side when eating out.i am finding restaurants have healthy dressings or the o&v option.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 11:47am
I like dressing on the side too, hard to find a place that will do that here in Munich though, don't know why.