Pole vault into geriatric state?

iVillage Member
Pole vault into geriatric state?
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 12:31pm

Do you have grays? Did you freak out when you first noticed them? Did you start pricing out hair coloring services?

A very cute blog from blogher :  July 22, 2010 10:00 am by HeatherB  in Style

About a month ago during a quick vacation in Denver, I returned to my hotel with my sunglasses atop my head and when I took them down there they were: three gray hairs.

I’ve wanted to discuss this event for weeks but for some reason I couldn’t get the shock of seeing those three hairs perched upon my head (like they were supposed to be there) out properly. Like my words wouldn’t do my “OH CRAP” feeling justice. I mean they were just there…growing. It didn’t help that everyone I complained to replied with a shrug as if this were natural or something. Meanwhile I had come to the realization that a) I am, in fact, getting older, and b) the stress in my life was to blame for my pole vault into my now-geriatric state.

This wasn’t my first experience with those wiry little suckers. The real first time was during a trip to the salon about a year ago when I got a blow out and my hair dresser kept pointing out every single slightly off color hair she spotted. “It’s amazing how many there are when your hair is straight,” she said, all casual like. Meanwhile I sat and stared horrified at the sheer number of gray hairs that seemed to have appeared out of nowhere. I mean it was far too soon! Or so I kept telling myself. I’m too young! I’m only 26! I look like I’m 19! I just got carded last night! Now if I forget my ID can I just point to the telltale patch at the back of my head?

My mother got her first grays at 17 and as I grew up and became more of a pain in the ass she wished upon me a head full of silver and a terrible teenage daughter. So those couple of gray hairs in my sunglasses shouldn't have been a surprise. I know I’m coming across as far more stunned than I mean to. Though I am stunned because I distinctly remember no gray hairs on Tuesday and then Wednesday POW! I suppose they are among the inevitable indignities of getting older. And I am aware that I am getting ahead of myself in this whole "aging" process. I'm sure I must sound like a person who will be stocking up on Ensure and Geritol come morning. But while genetics have predisposed me to these little critters, they didn’t come at the time I originally anticipated -- which was not right now, in my 20s --  and, well, it’s a bit of shock.

Never mind that I am complaining about something that only I can see…if I squint, that is. If a gray hair grows on my head and I’m the only person who can see it, does it exist? Regardless I have found myself in a state of semi-panic as to what to do about my new found friends. Do I pluck them? Color them, perhaps? At what rate will they take over my head? Will they always just sprout up out of nowhere? And do two really grow in place of one recently removed?

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 1:23pm

LOL...funny!

I was 16 when my hair started turning gray...18 and my hair looked like it was frosted...but that was the "big thing to do then--frost your hair"! However, I was a senior in HS working for the county library with women old enough to be my mother or grandmother. They would ask why I frosted my hair--then when they found out it was naturally gray (beautiful silver, actually), they would ask why I didn't color it! LOL

I never worried about it, nor have I ever wanted to be bothered with coloring it. I've always gotten lots of compliments because it is shiny silver tones--I had one lady come up to me in a store one day and asked me what color I used on my hair, it was the exact color she wanted her's to be and she wanted to tell her hairdresser--I had a good laugh that day--she wished I could go with her to show her hairdresser (lol)! Fortunately I got the good genes when it came to hair color!

Michelle/mica_ga

Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom.

--Rubin, Theodore Isaac

Michelle/mica_ga

Kindness is more important than wisdom,

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 4:29pm
I remember my mom coloring her hair, sometimes I helped her.
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-28-2010 - 1:46am

Funny!

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-28-2010 - 1:27pm
You are so right about saving a fortune by being your natural self.
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-28-2010 - 2:53pm
Yes, I've got some gray (I prefer to call it silver highlights).