Well I disagree...

iVillage Member
Well I disagree...
Thu, 02-10-2005 - 6:57pm
I recently read somewhere that you can tell if someone is lying when they go on and on about something or they just give you too much detail. I disagree. I happen to just have this style of talking. I find it hard to describe stuff in a way that others get what I'm talking about, so I go on and on. I don't lie though. So if I were to do this and others read the article I read, are they going to automatically assume I'm lying?
Ugh. I don't like this at all.
I'll give an example...today I was late for work because I took my ratties in to the vet. I called my boss to remind her that I would be late. I was quick when I left the first message but when I got to work I called her to let her know I was at work and I told her a little about the vet visit. Did I give too much info for a message? I don't know, I guess I just always feel that I need to go into detail to be understood. And I tend to believe that others have interest in what I'm saying.
What do you think?

HEIDI

cl-caribouhugs

Visit me at Caring for your Cat, Wildlife Watching, Tough Decisions, The Sand Box and Ask Dr. Ruth

Life is sweeter when you have good friends, good food and a good internet connection!

Meet my rattie girls, Perri and Winkle!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-10-2005 - 7:31pm

I believe that IS one symptom of lying. LOL. If it was a situation where there might be a reason for a person to lie, & he went on & on in great detail, I might think he's lying.

But I have a friend like you, who goes on & on in detail. She seems to think others won't understand if she doesn't explain every little detail. I certainly don't think she's lying. But for me, I find it insulting to think she might think I won't understand w/o all that excruciating detail. For instance, she once stopped in the middle of telling a story to a bunch of us at a party, to say, "Do you know what a jetty is?" Now, she grew up in S. CA & we didn't, but we do live on the east coast. And we are middle-aged adults. Does she think we don't know what a jetty is? :( And she sometimes greatly over-estimates the level of interest people will have in the story & the detail. LOL. ;o)

My personal opinion is that your boss couldn't give a rat's arse (I couild NOT resist that!) (ooh! I hope that expression doesn't offend you...) about your vet visit. It's not work-related, & listening to it takes up her time. BUT, I don't know you, or her, or your relationship w/her, or how long you went on & in how much detail... whew!

So, have I made you completely unhappy w/my answer? Sorry. :o) I AM brutally honest, a questionable character trait. LOL.

Katz

Katz

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-10-2005 - 10:26pm

Hi Katz,
No you didn't make me mad. LOL I appreciate your answer. :-)

But I must now ask...what's a "jetty?"

;)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-11-2005 - 8:07am
I'm hoping you're kidding about the jetty. You live in NE...
Katz

Katz