Arctic Refuge at Risk..

iVillage Member
Arctic Refuge at Risk..
Tue, 03-15-2005 - 2:35pm

Please consider this and call your senators today to tell them how you feel....

• The Arctic National Wildlife Refuge's 19 million acres comprise one of the last places on earth where an intact expanse of arctic and sub arctic land remains protected.

• Drilling in the Arctic Refuge can't make even a small dent in meeting America's energy needs.  U.S. Geological Survey scientists estimate that there is very likely only enough oil to supply America's needs for six months.  And oil companies admit that, even that, won't be available for at least 10 years.

• An irreplacable natural treasure, the Arctic Refuge is home to caribou, polar bears, grizzly bears, wolves, golden eagles, snow geese and more.  Millions of other birds use the Arctic Refuge to nest and as a critical staging area on their migratory journeys.

• Of course, the Arctic Refuge supports more than wildlife.  For a thousand generations, the Gwich'in people of Northeast Alaska and Northwest Canada have depended on it and lived in harmony with it. 

If you need more information just ask. 

HEIDI

cl-caribouhugs

Visit me at Caring for your Cat, Wildlife Watching, Tough Decisions and The Sand Box 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-17-2005 - 5:20pm
S*it! The vote got through, didn't it?
Katz

Katz

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-18-2005 - 8:03am

Yes Katz it did.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-18-2005 - 8:11am
I read somewhere (it may have been here at work) that a lot of polar bears will migrate, though more are dying every year as it is. :( You should have seen the thread we had going on the Politics Today board about global warming. Sheesh. There were 2 people who just kept saying that we shouldn't do anything to combat it unless we have "proof" (their definition thereof, of course) that it's caused by humans, & not a natural weather cycle. They didn't want their "lifestyles" "radically altered" to fight global warming.
Katz

Katz

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-18-2005 - 9:36am

I saw this in the paper & I was just so disappointed

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-18-2005 - 9:43am

I agree.

Susieq, Your cat is adorable!

Photobucket