What would you do?

iVillage Member
What would you do?
Wed, 05-25-2005 - 11:01am

I have a question for the group...how kind are you to people who "cold call" at your home?
How do you react to people knocking at your door asking for things..like local high schools & grade schools...do you give because you feel you have to or not?

Last night we had a teen from a local hs knock at our door. He was taking part in a public speaking competition and if we bought a magazine he would get points. I told him I didn't want a magazine, but wished him good luck with his contest. He asked if I could sign a form so he could get credit for stopping by the house. I said "yes, let me get a pen". When I went up the stairs he had stepped into the hall way and was coming into the house. So he's showing me the list of magazines again and I really felt pressured to buy one. But #1 it didn't list a cost & #2 you had to sign up for 3 yrs!! So I just told him I wasn't intersted in the magazines and he left.
Now my SO was furious with my for letting a stranger into our home. How do I KNOW he is in HS! I'm just curious to know how would you have dealt with this situation? Has anything like that ever happened to you?

I was just trying to be nice and helpful, but didn't realize that it really could have been anyone!

Let me know your thoughts,
Johanna

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2005 - 11:44am

Hey Johanna,

how kind are you to people who "cold call" at your home?
How do you react to people knocking at your door asking for things..like local high schools & grade schools...do you give because you feel you have to or not?
When they come to my door, I am not often very nice :::blush:::
Most of the time I say thank you but no thank you, LOL
It bothers me as so many come at dinner time :::sigh:::
Once in a blue moon I will buy from the kids selling if I know them ..
Or if I like the candy choices :::blush:::
I always step outside the door to look their lists over, never have them come in unless I know the kids.

Sorry that happened to you though.

Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2005 - 11:56am

I agree Hugs. Thanks for your honesty.
I need to not be so trusting with people.
I wasn't trying to let him in..it just sort of happened that way.
It's hard for me to say no.
It makes me question myself if I can feel so pressured/uncomfortable by a teen.

LOL, what's wrong with me!
:o(
Johanna

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2005 - 12:40pm

Hi Johanna,

I think

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2005 - 1:15pm

Hi Heidi!

It's great to have you back with us today.
I hope you are feeling better.

LOL, thanks for your honesty. It's hard being so trusting sometimes...especially when it comes back to bite you.

Being smarter about things will be more of an avdantage than being more trusting.
Sometimes I feel like being trusting makes me look nieve and gulliable.

Your SO is similar to my SO in temperment...probably because of their German/Bevarian background. He probably gets just as frustrated with you as mine does, lol.

~Jo

Edited 5/25/2005 1:16 pm ET ET by southpier
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2005 - 1:59pm

I very, very rarely get anybody selling anything at my door. If so, it's only little kids selling candy for school. For a couple of years, I wouldn't even buy from them. Two little kids that I didn't really know had ripped me off a couple of years before. I paid for something & they never delivered it. :( So, since I barely know any of the kids in my neighborhood, i stopped buying. But now I know a couple of the kids a little bit, & they've been OK about delivering the candy. I buy from them to help, & b/c I like candy! :) I sometimes invite them in. They're little. And they like to come in to "play with" my cats. LOL

The only other group that knocks is young Hispanic & black men from a local drug rehab. They sell candy & trash bags. They're the most visible door-to-door people, coming a few times a year. Their "bosses" don't allow them to come in the house. They always work in groups or pairs, & are recognizable, so I have no problem buying from them. I like their products.

Not sure what I would have done in your case, Jo. I definitely wouldn't have bought anything. It's weird that he stepped in by himself. First of all, how could a guy selling door to door not have a pen??! I might have been creeped out when he walked in.

Katz

Katz

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2005 - 2:20pm

Hey Katz-

Thanks for your reply.
I know ..after, thinking about it, it is weird for him not to have had a pen.
He also smelled of smoke which I didn't notice until he was standing next to me.

The entire thing was creepy. I just didn't think of anything until after. He was also on his own and no car was in sight...I figured it was just because he lived close by. We don't really know anyone in the neighborhood so I was just trying to be a good neighbor..but Phil was totally freaked out.

He said the kid could have been anyone..he could have had a gun, he could have been checking out our house...it really scared him that I did that. And I don't blame him.
I didn't even think.
With my MK I go in and out of people houses all the time- then don't know me, I don't know them....I just need to be more cautions and not feel like I owe the world something.
Being too helpful is not always good.
~Jo

Edited 5/25/2005 2:22 pm ET ET by southpier
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2005 - 2:56pm

Right now, we have an enclosed front porch & I always have the outside door locked so the cats can run out on the porch

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2005 - 3:43pm

Good for you guys!
I need to get better at saying NO! LOL

I didn't even want to go to the door...but it way "my turn"..lol, I really wish Phil could have answered that one!

Good luck keeping kitties in! >^..^<

~Johanna

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-27-2005 - 11:42am
well because we live in never never land (no where near michaels home). we dont get too many people here. i dont buy too much now. if it is some kid i know or something for my sons school, i consider it.i dont like the door to door stuff. you got to wonder why the stuff isnt selling at a store .
i agree you really got to watch who comes to your door.we live close to the us border and i never knew how dangerous it can be to be by the border.the neibour told me that they have had a lot of wierdos come to her door, that have jumped the border.one time there was a guy that wanted to pay someone to run him back to the boarder to get a bag he left there. turned out he was running drugs, in the next provence.scarry.
glenda
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-27-2005 - 4:31pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Glenda!

It is a scary world out there!

Be safe living so lose to the boarder...scary story from your neighbor.

~Johanna

Pages