Any advice on getting started cleaning??

iVillage Member
Any advice on getting started cleaning??
Fri, 06-17-2005 - 8:45am
Posted this ? on another board also. I can't seem to get my house clean. Think its a mixture of being burn't out, lazy, mildly depressed and ???, I am presently overloaded with dirty with clothes and dishes, cleaning up after the cats, all day long. Then throw in the d/c and wham. Anyone have any idea's on how to get things done? I know I'd feel alot better mentally if my house was clean, I used to keep it decent. Thanks. Donna

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-17-2005 - 9:38am

Make a goal to get one room cleaned a day or evening. The items that you find in that room that belong in another room just take to the other room, don't put them away. That way you will stay focused on reaching your goal.

As for laundry, throw a load in, get to cleaning your room, when its done, throw it in the dryer, throw a new load in. When its dry, fold it right there at the dryer and put it away right away and get back to cleaning your designated room.

This usually keeps the house at least manageable. Maybe not perfect, but manageable, then on the weekends you just have to pickup and you still have time to play!

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-17-2005 - 9:52am

Hi Donna
Do you know about flylady.net? I don't follow her any more, but that's b/c I've gotten lazy again. LOL. Flylady has great ideas & is perfect for somebody in your dilemma. I live alone, so it doesn't matter so much what my house looks like. But I've been in a cleaning frenzy all week b/c a neighbor is coming over this weekend to help me hook up my DVD player. I always say that it's a good thing something like that happens once in a while, to motivate me to clean, or I'd never clean. LOL. And I'm pleased to look around now & see a clean house. :) And it probably still isn't clean by a lot of folk's standards. Too bad! ;o)

Anyway, I would start small, & continue to think small. Write a SHORT list of what you will do that day. Check it off as you go along. I know it makes me feel good to cross something off my list. In the 1st day, maybe just do all the dishes & 1 load of laundry. Do 1 load of laundry every day til you get caught up. You know you'll keep the litter boxes clean, 'cause that's a must for all us furmoms. :) So that's worth a pat on your back! Don't look at the whole house & let it overwhelm you. Just look at individual tasks. I know one thing I do wrong. I always let the task grow in my mind til it looks huge. It never ends up being as bad or as hard as I thought it would. :)

Can you do stuff during the day w/your daycare? That must be hard!

It does sound like a depression problem. I know that's a big part of it w/me. But as you said, you know you'll feel better when you get it done.

One thing Flylady does that's kind of neat--she tells you to polish your kitchen sink every day. LOL. Really. She has a whole "recipe" of how to do it the first time. I don't remember the details. Just clean it w/in an inch of its life, using several different cleansers in stages. Then let it soak in bleach water. It comes out all shiny. :) Then she tells you to clean it lightly every day at the end of the day. The shiny sink will please you & give you something to smile about. After while, i found that my made bed became my "shiny sink." I got more pleasure out of seeing my bed made every day than I did the clean sink, 'cause I never used to make my bed. Whatever works for you.

What do you think?

Katz

Katz

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-17-2005 - 10:04am
Thanks for all the advice. It sounds good. I actually am down to two d/c kids, I clean and do more when I have six d/c kids here. Go figure. I also love a list. I guess I get side tracked looking around, so much to do. As for clothes I do at least 5 loads a day or more. Honest. I load my dishwasher once or twice a day. Still have something in the sink 24/7. I don't mind that, but the counter tops becoming cluttered bothers me. I'm usually like you, if I know someone is coming inside I will kill myself trying to clean it. I've got to start somewhere, I want to clean out odds n ends being stored under my kitchen cabinets, throw out alot of stuff. Just have to make myself do it. Donna
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-17-2005 - 10:07am
Its a rare weekend that you will find me cleaning. I like to go shopping, the pool, sit outside. Walk the dogs etc...I do need to declutter in an extreme way. My dh is going to build me a cat enclosure for the inside cats so they can go in and out some. Maybe that will help me also. You can see pics of some on just4cats.com I do start in one room and end up everywhere. Also will start cleaning out things, throwing away stuff then I have to stop and ...Thanks for the help every bit of advice I get will help me. Donna
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-17-2005 - 11:19am
{{{Donna}}}
So glad you asked this :::blush:::
I can totally relate with you about this :::sigh:::
Hopefully we'll both get some great answers as well as some incentive
Sounds like we need to work together on this .. maybe that would help us both :)

Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-17-2005 - 11:41am
Clothing problems and paper clutter are zapping me of all my energy! Donna
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-17-2005 - 11:52am
Wish it was that simple for me, LOL
My house is a disaster :::gasp:::
We'll get it together eventually :)

Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-17-2005 - 12:05pm
Its funny, I have a doublewide mobile home, always saying if I only had a nice home then it would be easier to clean! Now where does that come from??? Also, my neighbors have a spotless, very well cut yard, weedless garden etc. but the inside of their nice brick home looks like it was burgularized. I can go into someone elses home and clean it, organize in a minute but my own...Donna
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-17-2005 - 12:23pm
I'm with you there. Paper is one of my biggest problems. I got rid of clutter w/Flylady, & am still getting rid of stuff through Freecycle, but I have piles of papers on every horizontal surface. Ugh
Katz

Katz

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-17-2005 - 12:57pm
My problem is I have to stop in the middle of organizing with my job and later after 5pm I am tired and don't want to continue cleaning. Which leads me to this-I'm sorting through papers etc...and then I had to move them to my bedroom until I could continue, put them in a nice little pile out of the way in the floor. Well, you know what happened, the cats had a ski party while I was busy elsewhere and they got scattered 15 feet in every direction! Donna

Pages