TMJ anybody?

iVillage Member
TMJ anybody?
Fri, 06-17-2005 - 3:55pm

Does anybody here have TMJ? I seem to be in the early stages. The left side of my jaw has cracked for a couple of years now. Now it's getting sore. And I've had sharp pain in my left ear. And even my teeth are becoming more sensitive to cold. I wasn't sure whether I should go to a dentist or Dr., so i went to a Dr. She thinks the ear pain is related. So I'm seeing an oral surgeon next month. I really don't want to have surgery. It doesn't seem serious enough to warrant that, & I've had quite a few surgeries in my life. :( She mentioned I might get one of those things you put in your mouth at night to keep from grinding your teeth.

Does anybody know much about this?

Katz

Katz

iVillage Member
In reply to: katznbooks
Fri, 06-17-2005 - 5:26pm
Hi Katz,
Have heard of it too.
          Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-18-2005 - 1:27am

Hey Katz,

I have TMJ pretty severely from clinching my teeth from having fibro.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-18-2005 - 1:07pm
hi Katz, I had the beginnings of that years back
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2005 - 8:28am
Thanks! I'll look into it when I get a chance.
Katz

Katz

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2005 - 8:34am
Thanks, Cheri. I'm sorry to hear you have it so bad. I've heard of the mouthpieces, both OTC (much cheaper) & custom made. I'm pretty sure I had one years ago, just because I was wearing my teeth down by grinding. I certainlt hope I can try that before surgery. So far at least, it definitely isn't bad enough to warrant surgery. It's good to know the earache is also connected, b/c my Dr. said there was nothing wrong w/my ear. I'll have to ask the oral surgeon if it could cause my sensitivity to cold.
Katz

Katz

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2005 - 8:38am

Thanks Suzan. My Dr. figured that the oral surgeon will probably take x-rays. I'm not looking forward to the mouthpiece! I have enough trouble sleeping as it is. :( I didn't think about the sinuses. Maybe that's why my sinus meds don't seem to help that much!

So was yours cured? Do you still have to sleep w/the mouthpiece?

Katz

Katz

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-21-2005 - 6:47am
hi, no I don't sleep with it anymore and yes it did help.... I really was in pain, (side of face) and that really helped.....