The "Willie Dylan" concert

iVillage Member
The "Willie Dylan" concert
Mon, 06-20-2005 - 11:35am

We had a great time last night at the concert. I'm not a big fan of either Dylan or Willie Nelson, but it was a fun atmosphere & it was neat just to see these 2 icons. I found that I knew more Willie songs than I'd realized. He gave a good show.

Dylan was weird. I had read 2 articles about his current tour that made it sound as if this was his "the heck w/you" tour, & it did seem that way. He never spoke 1 word to the audience. He stood at the keybord all night, way off to the right of the stage. He played his old classics, but they were literally unrecognizeable. And you couldn't understand a word he was singing. Nancy is more familiar w/his work than I am, & she would suddenly catch a few words & say, "Oh! I know this song." She hadn't recognized it up til that point. He played them very differently than what you're used to. And they all kind of sounded alike. We left early.

Today's paper says there were 9500 people there, & that the stadium has 6200 seats. A lot of people stood in the field in front of the stage. It was a fun, laid-back atmosphere. And not loud at all. i was surprised by that. When we left, we saw people sitting right outside the stadium, where you could still hear, for free. The paper said about 100 people were outside. Smart!

Next month they're having Bryan Adams & Def Leppard. Should be a bit louder. LOL. I won't go, but maybe I'll stand outside to check it out, out of curiosity.

Katz

Katz

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2005 - 11:52am
Hi Katz,
Well the concert sounds good though.
Interesting on Bob Dylan, such an icon to *behave* like that.
Wonder why .. any ideas?
Love where you can sit outside and hear for free, LOL
We did that somewhere along the road a bit ago
Do try for the next concert and let us know which is better.
Thanks for sharing with us :)

Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2005 - 12:23pm
Well, I guess he's enjoying play his tunes the way he wants to. It would get awfully boring to play the same songs the same way for 40 years. :-P He's probably just touring b/c he enjoys it. He sure doesn't need the money. And he's an icon. He can do whatever he wants. LOL
Katz

Katz

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2005 - 12:28pm

to bad this concert wasn t all it should have been.

i would love to be at the bryan adams and def leopard concert though.It would be a riot.

they say bryan put on a great show.

glenda

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2005 - 12:51pm
Makes sense Katz,
Though you would think he would still *talk* to the audience :)

Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2005 - 1:41pm
Yeah, I think that concert will be louder. LOL. Can't wait to see the Letters to the Editor from the people who live near the stadium. (It's right in town, surrounded by homes.) I may sit outside & check it out. I don't know Def Lepard from a hole in the ground.
Katz

Katz

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2005 - 2:52pm

Bryan Adams is really good - I saw him a few years back!

I went to a Prince concert a few years ago - he only wanted to concentrate on his new songs, sang 1 medley of his older ones & that was it & kept running off the stage letting the band play & stuff like that.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2005 - 3:25pm

Long, long ago, before your time, there was a TV show called Ozzie & Harriet. Have you heard of it? Anyway, they had a son, Ricki Nelson, who became a pop star/heart throb. Years after his fame had peaked, he did a concert at Madison Square Garden. He later wrote a song about it called Garden Party. It was about that thing of singers wanting to sing new material, & their fans only wanting to hear their old stuff, but it was written, of course, from the singer's point of view. I can definitely understand how they'd get tired of doing the same old songs, night after night, year after year. For many, many years, a well-known folksinger named Arlo Guthrie refused to do his most famous song, Alice's Restaurant. And I have a friend who was a cult folksinger. The song that made him known was called Titanic. But it was extremely long, as is Alice's Restaurant, & required more energy than he had as he got older. LOL. So he stopped doing it. But we still want to hear the stuff we know. :o)

Willie Nelson has a new reggae (can you imagine?!) album coming out, but he didn't do one reggae song...

Katz

Katz

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2005 - 10:16pm

I've heard of Ozzie & Harriet, though I honestly don't know if I've watched it.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-21-2005 - 8:26am

I liked all those shows. I always loved Dick Van Dyke. What a funny guy!

That's right. I'd forgotten that Ricky Nelson's sons had a band.

The article about the concert said that Willie did 1 raggae song, but didn't play it as reggae. I didn't recognize it. LOL. I remember hearing about that Johnny Cash album. I wonder how it did.

Katz

Katz

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-21-2005 - 9:13am

I would rather see just good ole Willie Katz.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Pages