Your state/county/province

iVillage Member
Your state/county/province
Fri, 06-24-2005 - 11:45am

It's not worth explaining what made me think of this, but:

Do you instantly recognize, outside of a map, the shape of your state? Could you draw the shape pretty accurately? My state (PA) has a pretty distinctive shape. I'm wondering if everybody could recognize the shape of their stste as easily as we here in PA can.

Anne, is your country divided into counties? Can you recognize your county?

And forgive me, b/c I'm VERY geography-impaired & I don't know about Finland or Germany, Rowan & Suzan. Canada is divided into provices, right, Amy & Gglenda?

Katz

Katz

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-24-2005 - 12:10pm

LOL Katz, you really should research before asking! Just kidding.

I can definately recognize and draw ND as its pretty much a square shape, I work for the states attorney's office therefore I have to be familiar with the counties, but some of them I would admit I'm not sure I could draw.

And WHAT did make you think of this q?

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-24-2005 - 12:34pm

Hi George!

We publish kids' textbooks where I work. We do a lot of work for state systems under No Child Left Behind. Last summer it was MD. This summer it's NY. We put the shape of the state on the cover & in the footer of every page. Makes me wonder if, for instance, 4th graders from MD or NY recognize what that image is on the cover.

The county question wasn't meant for you, silly. I don't know whether I'd recognize the shape of my own county. That's for Scotland, which I'm thinking might be divided into counties, like Ireland is. But of course I could be wrong.

Katz

Katz

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-24-2005 - 12:39pm
Hi George,
Long time no see... good to see you here today.
Hope we'll be seeing you more often :)

Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-24-2005 - 12:43pm
Oh Katz,
I am terrible when it comes to georgraphy :::blush:::
Seeing as how I lived in California longer than here in Missouri ..
I could *maybe* draw it, LOL
Definitely recognize it when I have to
Missouri is another story, LOL
Fun questions though .. thanks for asking :)
          Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-24-2005 - 12:54pm

yes we have provences.10 and three territories.I live in saskatchewan. basically in the center.

yes most of the provences are very recognizable by the shape. i thing i could guess the shapes of all th provences and maybe the territories

glenda

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-24-2005 - 2:40pm

Katz,

You're right. Scotland is divided into counties or regions to give them their proper title. I live in Fife which is very easy to recognise. It looks like the head of a Scottie dog.

Now I can hear my first year Geography teacher shouting at me again that I must never describe Fife like that. I never did understand why. It IS like a dog's head! Here's the proof! :o)

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/councils/region15.html

follow me to my partners in the siggy exchange

MILITARY WIVES
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-24-2005 - 2:49pm

You're RIGHT! It IS a dog's head. LOL. What the heck's wrong w/that teacher? I would think that anything that helps you to remember is good.

So what is "Making Friends for Life"? There are so many boards here that I never heard of.

How many hours are you ahead of us?

Katz

Katz

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-24-2005 - 2:55pm

Making Friends for Life is what I like to call a blethering board. I suppose it's a lot like this one where we're not topic related and so we talk about anything and everything - a lot!

"Blethering" is a good Scottish word for "talking/gabbing/chattering/gossiping" :o)

I'm 5 hours ahead of ET so, as I type this, it's nearly 8pm.

follow me to my partners in the siggy exchange

MILITARY WIVES
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-24-2005 - 3:13pm
Oh OK. We have a word, "blathering." Same thing, pretty much.
Katz

Katz

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-24-2005 - 5:37pm

I could draw my state MA and my other home state, Michigan pretty well. I think I could recognize most state's shapes. :-) But that's about it. I liked geography in school but I think I memorized things and then just forgot them..

I liked this question. I like easy to answer questions today, LOL. Nothing complicated because right now I couldn't do complicated.

Photobucket

Pages