Block parties?

iVillage Member
Block parties?
Wed, 07-06-2005 - 12:33am
Does your neighborhood ever have them?
Do you go if they do?
Have you ever been to one in your lifetime?
Do you wish your neighborhood would have them?
Just wondering :)
          Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_ivhhugs
Wed, 07-06-2005 - 1:30am

when i was little we used to have block parties. we lived in a block of duplexes. it was very safe too because at any given time there were at least 2-3 rcmp living on the block too.as i neared my tean the cops moved out and a lot of poorer people moved in.
at one time we would get over 200 kids at halloween. mom stopped buying at 200.

it became a roudy neibourhood.it seemed by this time peple were afraid to be out at night, in parts of the neibourhood.

now that i live in a small town we have lots of get togethers.pot lucks at the school, at the rink and at the hall.sometimes town wiener roasts, or fireworks.

at new years there was a pot luck, free skate, card games, curling contests,and kid games, and wagon rides(horse pulled) it was all free.

it is so differnt here compared to other towns and the city. my son graduated and he got a hole bunch of grad cards from people he barely knew, and some he just knew there names.I guess if you are from here , they are proud. you are family.

glenda

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2005 - 1:42am
Hi Glenda,
Sounds like when you were young you had such fun at those parties.
However where you live to be able to have all those get togethers is really something special.
Hope you know how lucky you really are :)
          Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2005 - 11:14am

We don't per say have them on our block,

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2005 - 12:29pm
How fun Nery,
Every weekend you all do something like that?
          Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2005 - 7:41pm

I do have to admit, it's alot of fun!! We only do it in the month of June but it's a great time.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2005 - 8:31pm
Hi Nery,
There are not other times through out the year when you have these gatherings?
Sure does sound like fun time for everyone :)

Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2005 - 8:51pm

Your town sounds neat. :)

I think that maybe there used to be more of a feeling of neighborhood here than there is now. When I was in the process of buying this house 18 yrs ago, I came here to a block yard sale & bought some stuff for my new house from the previouys owner & from neighbors. Now there are only 2 other households besides me that were living here then. Many of the houses have turned over numerous times since then. People don't know each other all that well. No block parties. For a while i went to meetings for this quadrant of the city. We were looking for ways to make the neighborhood safer & more attractive, more appealing. But I stopped going. i hate meetings. And I was the only one from my whole street who went. Lots of the other blocks have more of a neighborhood feeling, but many of them have problems w/drugs, teenagers & even prostitution. We don't have any problems on my block, Just no neighborly feel. :(

HOWEVER, my neighbor did come over tonight & help me figure out the wiring for my VCR & new DVD player & TV. Yea! Now I can rent DVDs. :)

Katz
Follow me to

Katz

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2005 - 8:58pm

we are very lucky katz. the cities seam to have areas like yours all over the place.our town just keeps on going. you cants buy a house here over two bedrooms, and two bedrooms are hard to find too.it is very hard for me to believe too, because we have lost the grain elevators and school. we are also fighting to keep the post office open.

i am so happy to here that you got your new tv system up and running.glad you have a good neibour.

glenda

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2005 - 9:12pm
Times sure have changed Katz,
Too bad about your neighborhood not having get togethers.
Can understand why you would stop going to the meetings if no one else shared an interest.
Guess the good news is that you don't have the other problems.

How kind to hear that your neighbor did come over and help you.
Enjoy those DVD's
          Click & Join the fun!