~ Weekend Plans ~

iVillage Member
~ Weekend Plans ~
Fri, 07-08-2005 - 12:05am

TGIF friends :) 
Will yours be sunny or stormy?    
What do you have planned to do this weekend? 
Reading anything exciting? Reading 

Will it be picnicing, BBQ'ing or kicking back for some needed R&R? 
 Tanny     In The Pool      BBQ 

Let our *inquiring minds* know as always :)

Click & Join the fun!

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2005 - 1:10am

Planning to sleep in both days this weekend to catch up.
          Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2005 - 9:06am

Victoria's Secret?! *Gasp!* Hugs, you hussy, you. ;o) Does dh not mind going there w/you? I used to know a young woman who would send her dh in there alone to buy her bras. He didn't mind. LOL.

No real plans fro this weekend. There's a movie at the stadium Saturday, which sounds kind of fun, but of course it's a kiddie movie, Shark Tale, so I probably won't go. Has anybody seen it? Is it worth seeing?

Sunday there's salsa music at the park. It sounds really good. Maybe I'll go to that.

I just finished reading Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie. It was really good. Now I'm ready to pick up a new book. I may read Memory of Running next.

Katz

Follow me to

Katz

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2005 - 1:09pm
Hi Katz,
DH won't be going into VS with me
I'll send him to go buy me a couple of books, LOL

Haven't seen the movie although I rarely go.
Maybe someone else has & can tell you more.
The salsa music in the park sounds wonderful.
Wish we had something like that close by .. hope you go.
So were the books good you finished?
What is the other one about?
You know me & my *inquiring mind* must always know :)
Have a fantastic weekend ~

Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2005 - 1:17pm

just staying home this weekend. maybe see the parade sat two towns over. i doubt it though. they are charging for everything there.

we will be packing for the trip though. i think we leave wedesday.

www.cityofflinflon.com

we can wait to go. some of the other inlaws will be there. that is a downfall, but what can you do.i just hope some of them actually disapline there kids this time.

glenda

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2005 - 1:39pm
Hi Glenda,
Hope you make it to the parades.
Getting ready for your tip will be fun as well.
Sounds like a nice relaxing weekend.
Enjoy it all :)

Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2005 - 1:42pm

Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie was really good. I think I've read 4 of her books now. Two I wasn't crazy about, b/c they just seemed like an excuse for lots of sex, w/a flimsy story around it. LOL. (She's a "recovering" romance writer.) But I really liked this one & Faking It. have you read anything of hers?

I actually forget what Memory of Running is about. I remembered that I had read the description & it sounded good. A fellow BookCrosser from the iV Books board I belong to, sent it to me in the mail (we do this on our board.) Since it's a BC book, I want to read it next, to keep it moving. :) I'm working through my at-home TBR pile, taking a little time off from the library.

Katz

Follow me to

Katz

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2005 - 2:32pm
Hi Katz,
Have not read anything by that author.
However think I will check out the summary on amazon, so thanks for the tip.

That's really cool you swap books on your book board.
We have swapped book marks on the one I have, LOL
I belong to BC but am lucky if I can get the books registered and then released

Let me know about that running book.
Seeing as how my son is a runner .. it might be a good one for him :)

Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2005 - 2:46pm

I didn't think it actually had anything to do w/running, but I looked it up. Here's the synopsis.

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
Ron McLarty has joined the ranks of writers of the quirky hero with The Memory of Running. His hero, Smithy Ide, is in the grand tradition of Ignatius J. Reilly of A Confederacy of Dunces and Quoyle of The Shipping News. What these gentlemen have in common is their lumpen-loser looks, their outsider status and their general befuddlement about the way the world works and their place in it. Smithy rises above them because of his self-effacing nature, his great capacity for love, his inability to show it and his endless willingness to forgive.

Smithy is a 279-pound, hard-drinking, chain-smoking, 43-year-old misfit who works in a G.I. Joe factory putting arms and legs on the action heroes. (How did McLarty come up with that?) He is also the most beguiling anti-hero to come into view in a long, long time. McLarty, an award-winning actor and playwright best known for his many appearances on TV in Law & Order, Sex and the City, The Practice, and Judging Amy, has added another star to his creative crown with this novel.

The first sentence of the book is: "My parents' Ford station wagon hit a concrete divider on U.S. 95 outside Biddeford, Maine, in August 1990." This tragic accident eventually claims both their lives. It is on the day of their funeral that Smithy finds a letter to his father about Bethany, his beloved and deeply troubled sister, stating that, "Bethany Ide, 51, died from complications of exposure... and she has since that time been in the Los Angeles Morgue West." Beautiful Bethany, given to taking off her clothes in public places, holding impossible poses for long periods of time, responding to voices that only she can hear, and disappearing for no known reason. This time, she has been gone for many years and now Smithy knows that she died destitute and alone. When he reads the letter, he is drunk, grief-stricken and, despite a house full of people, he is alone. He goes out to the garage to smoke and have another drink and spies his old Raleigh bicycle. He sits on it, flat tires and all, wheels it to the end of the driveway--and--Smithy doesn’t know it yet, but he is going to ride a bicycle from Maine to Los Angeles to claim his sister's remains.

On the road he meets the good, the bad, and the really bad. He frequently calls Norma, the Ides' across-the-street neighbor, confined to a wheelchair for years, and always in love with him. He has never acknowledged nor returned her ardor, but he starts to count on her friendship during his travels. Their conversations are sweet and revelatory. McLarty has done a superb job of showing us who Smithy is and who he is becoming. It's a wonderful story told with great poignancy and humor. --Valerie Ryan
From Publishers Weekly
Smithy Ide is a really nice guy. But he's also an overweight, friendless, womanless, hard-drinking, 43-year-old self-professed loser with a breast fetish and a dead-end job, given to stammering "I just don't know" in life's confusing moments. When Smithy's entire family dies, he embarks on a transcontinental bicycle trip to recover his sister's body and rediscover what it means to live. Along the way, he flashes back to his past and the hardships of his beloved sister's schizophrenia, while his dejection encourages strangers to share their life stories. The road redeems the innocent Smithy: he loses weight; rescues a child from a blizzard; rebuffs the advances of a nubile, "apple-breasted" co-cyclist after seeing a vision of his dead sister; and nurtures a telephone romance with a paraplegic family friend as he processes his rocky past. McLarty, a playwright and television actor, propels the plot with glib mayhem—including three tragic car accidents in 31 pages and a death by lightning bolt—and a lot of bighearted and warm but faintly mournful humor. It's a funny, poignant, slightly gawky debut that aims, like its protagonist, to please—and usually does.

Katz

Follow me to

Katz

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2005 - 5:33pm
Oh sorry thought it was Katz,
Does look interesting though.
Let me know how you like it when you've finished.
Maybe I will suggest it for our next month BOTM choice :)

Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2005 - 9:21pm
I've started it. I'm definitely going to like it. :) I believe the title comes from the fact that when this 279-pound man was a kid, he was a runner. Now he's just a poor, fat, slob. But I sense that that is about to change. :)
Katz

Follow me to

Katz

Pages