Craving Dirt or dirty shoes

iVillage Member
Craving Dirt or dirty shoes
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 9:32am
My daughter is 10 months old. She is a very healthy baby. I do have a question since she has been around 81/2months she has wanted to chew on dirty shoes. We keep taking them away from her and giving her clean toys or something else to chew on but she throws them down and goes back to the dirty shoes. I am wondering after talking to a few people they said maybe she is craving dirt for some reason does this sound right? If so what is she needing in her diet to keep her from craving dirt.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 5:30pm
My daughter is 20 months old. She never did the whole "teething" thing, but she did like the taste of weird things. I know that when you're pregnant, you crave things your body is lacking, but maybe its as simple as your child liking the taste of the "dirt", or maybe the feel of the rubber. The dirt does have a weird taste to the tounge, and the rubber has a certain texture that may feel good on her gumbs - my puppy likes shoes! Try buying something, like a dog rubber dog toy that has almost the same texture & strength of the shoe and see if that helps. It may be just the feel on the gums, that is different than a shoe. And if that doesn't work, and they still want that shoe, but her a shoe! (As long as she doesn't bite pieces off, and remove the shoe laces). Let me know if it works! Good luck!
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 5:28pm
Hi Sissy,

From what you wrote I personally do not think your baby is craving dirt, it seems she just likes to chew on her shoes, dirty or not. :o)

Here is a board you'd be able to ask this question to, I'm sure they'd have quicker access to some more resources for your concerns-

new mothers: July, 2002

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-psjul02

Advice: Parent-to-Parent

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-psp2padvice

HTH~

~Wendy~

You can find me on my blog:
CalvaryGirl
I'd love to "see" you there!