24/7 Terrible Two - how to tame?

iVillage Member
24/7 Terrible Two - how to tame?
Thu, 04-17-2003 - 7:11pm
I am the mother of three boys ages 5, 3, and 2. I also work full time at home. My husband works full time and goes to school full time. All this mixed together is very hard to deal with and then you add in the fact that my youngest is in the terrible two's and is there 24/7! He constantly screams at the top of his lungs - whether it is because he is mad, sad, happy, excited - whatever emotion - he screams. This in itself stresses me out to the max! Also during his tantrums he bangs his head, bites himself and throws things. He is unhappy probably 80% of the time and usually this is around me. He is for the most part great at daycare (he is the only of the 3 that goes to daycare due to my not getting any work done with him around) but whenever I pick him up - he is initially really happy to see me, but as soon as we get in the car he starts screaming, crying, and throwing a tantrum. To top it all off - he has been having a problem sleeping the whole night through, so the whole family is sleep deprived. His behavior is affecting the entire family and the emotional well-being of us all. I love my sweet little baby, because he can be that sweet child I have known, but whenever he gets in this terrible two mood, it is hard to remember that he can be so sweet. A couple months ago he was also weaned from the breast, which was one thing that made him angry, but his behavior was going on long before this, but it did get worse when he was weaned. I know this is probably some kind of cry for attention, but a lot of times when I try to give him individualized attention - it makes him act out more. Any suggestions? I know that my second did not go through his two's this terribly, but my oldest did, but our home situation was different or maybe it was too long ago to really remember. But I need to get this family happy again, because right now we are at a low. I just want to enjoy my children and I want them to enjoy us and each other. Hopefully this is just the terrible two's and soon will pass. Any advice, suggestions, or just hearing that someone else has similar problems would help! Sometimes it just helps to know that you're not the only one - Thanks in advance for your replies! Lisa :)
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 1:40am
Hi Lisa,

Boy have I been in your shoes! You have one spirited kid there! :o) I have an article that you can probably greatly identify with-

http://www.parentsplace.com/features/crying/articles/0,10335,258698_113156,00.html

This book is EXCELLENT, and is a priceless resource for the issues you are having. I got it from the library when I read it, and want to buy my own copy ;o) You may also like to try this board-

Spirited/High Needs Children

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-psspirited

I know the word 'spirited' may seem a little intimidating, but once you read the article, it will make a whole lot more sense. :o) It appears that there is something that is triggering your child's behaviour, especially knowing that there is not a problem at daycare. My ds was the same way when he went twice a week to a babysitter's house, he was good for her, but a terror for me. Once I was able to see things for what they were, it wasn't as bad, because I knew how to act on his actions. :o)

I hope this helps!

~Wendy~

You can find me on my blog:
CalvaryGirl
I'd love to "see" you there!

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 9:56am
Wendy! WOW! I can identify with all of that! In fact, all three of my boys are this way, but have gotten better with age, but put in certain situations - that "spirited child" does come out! I am definitely going to get those books and read up! I hope that I can get it together! I have been feeling like such a failure and now I feel better! Thanks for the info! Lisa :)