pants soiling in older children

iVillage Member
pants soiling in older children
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 3:13pm
My 12 year old stepson has bathroom issues. He still wets the bed on a regular basis and he also had never learned to wipe properly after a bowel movement. His father is reluctant to embarass him by continually bringing up this subject, but I think something needs to be done, now!

As far as the bed wetting goes he is small for his age and the doctor did perscribe a pill for him to take before bedtime to replace a hormone that reduces urine production at night. When he takes this pill he does not wet the bed, so hopefully as he gets older and this hormone develops he'll stop wetting the bed. We do not give him this pill every night only for sleep overs since we do not want to inhibit the natural development of this hormone.

The dirty underwear is another problem. We can't seem to get him to realize that when he has the urge to go he needs to stop what he is doing and go. And to take the time to wipe properly when he does go. All his underwear has stains and I have found feces on the floor in the bathroom on several occasions, that I think feel out of his underwear because he didn't make it to the toilet on time. At the begining of the school year he had 12 pairs of boxer shorts, he now only has 4. He claims he doesn't know what happpened to the other 8 pairs, but his father and I believe that he had accidents in them and threw them out.

I'm extremely frustrated by this situation so any help you can give us would be greatly appreciated.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2003 - 11:02pm
Hello,

This board is as close a match as I can find:

Coping with Bedwetting, Eneuresis & Encopresis

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-pselimprobs

I am sure someone on the board will be able to give you some ideas.

Good luck!

-CMKerri

Kerri Kerr
Sr. Community Moderator
Home & Garden | Food
iVillage.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 3:40am
I have experienced this problem, actually and it was something that was grown out of. The problem was addressed after it had been going on for aproximately 3 months and after that...it gradually happened less often. I think as a mother you would be doing the right thing in talking to your son. He needs to know that you have recognized his problem and you are willing to help. He is probably too embarassed to come to you himself. He knows that he is old enough to take care of himself. I'm sure he is scared, but is waiting for you to address it, because he doesn't know how to.