Afraid to get hitched

iVillage Member
Afraid to get hitched
Tue, 07-01-2003 - 3:40pm
My boyfriend and I have been dating for 6 months. We have a very happy & healthy relationship. We have had "the talk" and we are both sure we want to marry one another, sure mentally and emotionally. I have a child who is in 2nd grade. He has some learning issues and has had a hard school year. When we discussed the "marriage" topic, my boyfriend said he was not ready to make it official but we could talk about it between us. We both agreed we felt positive and sure. We talked about my daughter starting school in his area in the fall. This would mean my daughter and I would have to move. He knows that this will not happen unless we are truly committed to one another. It was even his idea for my daughter to start in his area in the fall. Now we are into July and nothing, I finally told him that I am no longer going to expect my daughter to start school there in the fall, I am going to be true to myself and not put extra unneeded pressure on myself by worrying about getting everything set up for my daughter. My boyfriend still contests that to make anything official now is too soon. We have to wait. Wait for what no one knows. But wait. So I have said that is fine, we will wait, but my daughter will start school again in the fall where we live and I am not going to make any plans to move until the end of the year. I fear that since there is a two hours distance between our homes this will create extra stress in our relationship for an extra year. However, my daughter is my first priority and I don't think it is healthy to take her out of school in the middle of the year. I brought this up for the last time this weekend and my boyfriend says there are no doubts I am the one he is going to marry, the one he was meant for, his only concern is it has only been