Cleaning Raw Chicken w/Bleach?

iVillage Member
Cleaning Raw Chicken w/Bleach?
Mon, 10-05-2009 - 10:42pm
My boyfriend's mom is cleaning her chicken w/Clorox & other soaps. She likes drenches it in bleach. She says it is to kill bacteria and salmonella. I think it's the reason they all have bad rashes. I brought it up and well to say the least she was upset, so I let it go. I googled cleaning meats with bleach but didn't really get anything helpful (I don't think most people would do that). Could they have bleach poisoning? Is it enough bleach to be hurtful? Should I send my bf to the hospital.
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-08-2009 - 4:18pm
thanks for the advice everyone and i'll check out the link now.
Administrator
Thu, 10-08-2009 - 12:16pm

You may also want to stop by the Cooking 101 board for suggestions on alternatives to thoroughly cleaning chicken. It may be easier to say, "I was thinking about how you clean your chicken and thought you may be interested in these alternatives..." :)

But like Karla said, I'd definitely look into that practice, especially if you feel it's showing signs of effects.

Edited to Add: I did find an article on washing raw meat in general (very interesting, I didn't know this myself): http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Factsheets/Does_Washing_Food_Promote_Food_Safety/index.asp.

Good luck!

Edited 10/8/2009 12:20 pm ET by cmerin

Erin
Community Technical Assistant | Community Moderator
iVillage.com

Administrator
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 8:57am
Interesting-I can't say I've ever heard of this and I'd certainly check with a health care professional to see if it's a safe (or necessary) practice. You may want to drop by one of our expert boards Ask Dr. Madelyn Fernstrom or Dr. Nancy Snyderman for some professional advice.

shredded.gif I'm Shredded-Are you? picture by HealthAccount

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com