My 16 yr. son has a girlfriend on line

iVillage Member
My 16 yr. son has a girlfriend on line
Thu, 10-22-2009 - 1:05am

Ok, this is my first post. I'm desperate to say the least! I need some help on computer safety with my 16 year old son. Ok, my son has met a 15 year old girl who lives across the world from us. CA,USA/England.  We have an 8 hours difference in time and some how they have met online through a Back Yard chicken Form. Yes, we have chickens. They say they are boyfriend and girlfriend but if they meet someone at there school they would seperate. What the heck, I don't get it but that's what he says and I think that's not true.

Ok, so I checked the site out and found out yes, she is real young girl, not a guy........LOL  They talk on line through a private chat with a head piece so they can talk like they are on the phone. That was strange for me at first.  Now my son wants to get a web cam so they can talk like they are in person, I guess.  My first was no that seems to revealing then my son flipped out on me and said she has a web cam and that's how she's been talking to him.  I've asked him to show me but he has kept me in the dark with it. Since I haven't given in on the web cam he now has been trying to convince me that it will be no different than what he is doing now.  My question to all teenage moms "Do you think he should get the web cam??  My worry is that he is getting very serious with this girl and not leaving any other door open to a real girl that lives near us.  Any advice with teens and computer dating would be appreciated.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-22-2009 - 1:13pm
thank you
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-22-2009 - 12:31pm

I do see your post on the Parents of Teens board now, due to variances in time zones and work schedules of our members, you might not receive a reply immediately, but I'm sure the members and/or Community Leader will respond as quickly as they can.

Best of luck.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-22-2009 - 12:17pm
I'm new to this and I thought I did post this question on the teen board, how can I do that? Thanks for your time.
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-22-2009 - 9:58am
I can see why this would be concerning to you, unfortunately having no experience with teens and computer dating myself, I don't feel qualified to give you any advice about this situation.