A Serious Health Question

iVillage Member
A Serious Health Question
Wed, 02-17-2010 - 1:21am

Hi everyone... I was wondering what a friend of mine may have. He ate bad food and was consistently getting more and more sick for about 5 months before he got antibiotics. Those helped for about a year, although in the past 5 months he's had all the same symptoms of: diarrhea, vomiting, pains in the stomach, paleness, irregular bowel movements, rectal bleeding, etc.

We think E coli. from the undercooked meat may have caused the original sickness. After taking the antibiotics, he was fine for a year. Now he has been sick for 5 months again..

1. Could the antibiotics he took have caused gastroenteritis?
2. If so, could that be the reason he is having similar symptoms again..?
3. Could these combined periods of sickness do severe long term damage to the point where his system is sensitive with renal scarring and that is what's causing irregular bowel movements now?

I am seriously worried that what he had is coming back, or that the antibiotics hurt his system more to the point where his kidneys are failing.

We will see a doctor about this...but if ANYONE has or has had a similar case please contact me or leave me a comment with any opinions or advice!

Thank you!

Erin

Please e-mail me if you can help with any of this.

ErinHansen@hotmail.com

Edited 2/17/2010 1:23 am ET by kitty_erin

ErinHansen@hotmail.com

Administrator
Wed, 02-17-2010 - 8:18am

Hi Erin and welcome. In my opinion your friend needs to see a Dr. as soon as possible. I'm sure your friend is miserable from suffering and a Dr. should be able to help relieve his symptoms. Honestly if I were you, I'd call a dr. today and get him in not only for peace of mind but to put an end to

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-17-2010 - 8:20am

Hi Erin,

Your friend must be very frustrated for feeling poorly for so long and not knowing what's causing it.

I have a few boards to suggest that you stop by.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-18-2010 - 1:23am

cmkarla,

Not to be rude, but I understand more than anyone else how serious this is. A doctor will hopefully this time be able to give us the right answer, we just have to get health insurance first. It is more about the money and timing but it will happen. I'm looking for people with a similar case in the mean time, because a doctor at this time is not a possibility, but will be as soon as possible.

:)
Thank you for your input,

Erin Hansen

ErinHansen@hotmail.com

href='mailto:ErinHansen@hotmail.com'>ErinHansen@hotmail.com

>

ErinHansen@hotmail.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-18-2010 - 1:53am

Hello cmtasha,

Thank you for your input as well. I am checking out the links you added right now.

:)

-Erin Hansen

ErinHansen@hotmail.com

href='mailto:ErinHansen@hotmail.com'>ErinHansen@hotmail.com

>

ErinHansen@hotmail.com