transitioning back to work

iVillage Member
transitioning back to work
Tue, 03-09-2010 - 11:13pm

Hi everyone,

I am new to iVillage and am looking forward to having some interesting and heartfelt conversations with everyone.

3 years ago, I gave up a relatively senior marketing role so that I stay at home with my son who at the time was 4. I have been a work at home freelance marketing consultant since then working in less senior roles but have been off work completely for the past year. This work was interesting but I found it hard to do in some ways because I feel like I've taken a big step backwards. Also, I did virtually no self marketing to land these projects.

I'm starting to second guess my decision to scale back as I am finding it quite boring to be at home now that my son is in school all day. I know I am more suited to a corporate life but I can't reconcile the work vs. stay at home struggle. As a result, I'm struggling to define what work I want to do, let alone do much self marketing. Plus with the state of the economy for the past couple of years, no one is knocking on my door and I have not done anything to stay connected with my former colleagues. My struggle stems from the fact that my previous job was quite demanding and I am a workaholic, but my son needs me to be around for him after school, so I feel I cannot take on a big role. Also, I think having been out of the scene for the past year has really impacted my self confidence. I was told at my first interview in 4 years that I seemed nervous, which when I worked full time, would never have been an issue. I think my resume is okay because I have only sent out 1 resume and got the interview.

Does anyone have a similar experience to share and advice on how to get myself back into a more professional frame of mind?

Thanks

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 7:45am

Hi and welcome to iVillage!

Photobucket