Help me please!!!

iVillage Member
Help me please!!!
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 10:38pm
Hello to all of you!! My name is cottie60. i am married to a great guy, he currently pays all the bills, etc. My problem right now is what to do with all of the left over paid bills receipts. I recall seeing before that I could throw them away once the bank had cleared our checks. Please understand that I had a stroke 2 years ago and he is very sensitive to me and is very wound up over our finances. I haven't paid any of our bills since I had my stroke. Could you please let me know what to do with these paid bills receipts. I have thrown them away before, but he always gets upset with me when I do this and as you cna understand, I am at a bit of a loss with what to do. You can look forward to hearing from me as I have a lot of questions to ask--he is coming up to retiring and I have a lot of questions to ask you all!!!! Thank you so much!! Cottie60
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 8:21am
Hi Cottie;

I am not sure what everyone else does, but our rule of thumb is to write the date, check number, and amount paid on the receipts and then we file them away for a year. Every year in April I go through and throw out receipts that are 12 months or older. This practice has come in very handy for us recently due to difficulties we are having with one of our accounts. When dealing with this particular company they always ask for the check number, date paid, and amount paid to verify we have made our payments, so it has been much easier to just find the receipts rather then pouring through our checking account statements trying to find the info.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 10:05am
Hi Cottie. Great question! We have an article that addresses your questions.

http://www.ivillage.com/money/life_stage/startingout/articles/0,10509,165369_69903,00.html

CM Ms Joe Cool

Senior Community Moderator

moneylifecm@mail.ivillage.com

Ms Joe
CM Ms Joe Cool
moneylifecm@mail

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 12:21pm
Thank you for that great article!!! As you can tell, it has been a while since I paid any of the bills an I really have to do something to help!!!! Thaks again...you can look forward to hearing from me again!!! Stephanie
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 3:56pm
It never hurts to keep receipts so why not keep them. It always helps to have back up documentation in case records are lost or destroyed such as a fire or such. In these eays and times electronic records are as much at risk as paper. In addition consider storing your olde reciepts in a place separate from your cancelled checks. Think about a fire resistant storage unit.

There's more information about safegaurding your financial data in times of crises at http://www.mortgageloansearch.cc

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 7:29pm
All great suggestions in the responses so far...How about if you have a scanner or copier of sort you can scan them and keep them all on a disc (or file in your computer). Companies keep their old records in some sort of electronic storage (ie, disc, microfilm, etc)...why can't you. It is so much more simpler to have one disc than stacks of monthly paper that can lost, disorganized, etc.

HTH,

Sharon

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 9:08am
Hey Stephanie! I sure hope we hear lots from you. You're excited and you're here, all things I love. You sound like an awesome woman and I know we all want to get to know you better. :o)

Ms Joe

Ms Joe
CM Ms Joe Cool
moneylifecm@mail