Credit Card Cancellation Letter??

iVillage Member
Credit Card Cancellation Letter??
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 2:12pm
Hello! I was wondering if anyone had a sample of a letter to send to creditors to cancel accounts? I thought I saw one on the board a while ago and am having a problem locating it. I have recently viewed a copy of my credit report. In the past I opened many credit cards in dept. stores. I don't carry a balance on them. I called and cancelled them but, want to make sure that the proper comments appear on my credit report in the future. If anyone can post a sample of one of these letters---I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!!
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 5:35pm
I simply send a basic letter, list the Account Number under RE: and say, Please cancel the above mentioned account and I also ask them to mail me a confirmation that the account is closed. I always request a confirmation when I cancel over the phone.
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 9:24pm
I do the same thing - something short and to the point. I'll have my name and address, then the account number, and "Please close this account" kind of wording. The tricky part can be finding the right address to send it to - so I've gotten in the habbit of sending it with my last payment.

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 11:20pm
We get TONS of requests to close accounts every week. They are sometimes as simple as "Close this account at my request". I'd only suggest that you include a return address and that you request confirmation to be sent to you.

You might even consider just calling the creditor and asking them to do it over the phone. Usually it just takes a little account verification and one reason why. You might just say that you are reducing credit. Sometimes they may try to convince you other wise or offer you alternatives to try to keep your account open, but just be persistent and ask for verification to be sent to you.

HTH,

Sharon

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 1:03pm
Thank you for the advice! All your input has given me an idea of what to do. Now I just have to get to the writing.