Desperate & scared in Wisconsin

iVillage Member
Desperate & scared in Wisconsin
Sat, 07-21-2007 - 7:47pm
Hi Guys,
I really need some good advice. I had worked for 21 yrs at the same job before I lost the job. I found another one 3 months later but had a heart attack 3 days before I was to start. That was almost three yrs ago. I have not been able to go back to work yet because of health problems. I finally filed for disability at the recommendation of my doctor. But we are still fighting for that(2 yrs. later). I have gone through all of my savings, TSA, 403k plans, and retirement money. I had to resort to credit cards to pay my bills. I didn't think it would be this long before I was able to go back to work and I surely didn't think it would take this long to be eligible for disability(what a fool I was!). I have no friends or family that I can borrow money from. Now I have a huge credit card debt and am unable to pay all of my bills. I recently realized that I have payment protection prgrams on my credit cards. But can I call them after all this time? Will they take away what little creit I have left on my cards that is all I have left to live on? And what about my mortgage? I haven't fallen behind on amy bills yet but I will within the next couple of months. I hate this, I have never had any financial problems before and I am really really stressed about all of this. I am only 44 yrs old and a single homeowner. Any advice you guys can give me will be apprecciated more than you know. Thank-you.
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-22-2007 - 1:14am
At this point, if I were in your shoes I would probably talk with a bankruptcy attorney about filing bankruptcy.
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-23-2007 - 11:13am
Carolyn,
Thank you for the advice. Can I file bankruptcy even though I'm not behind on any payments yet? I just don't know how much more of this I can take.
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-23-2007 - 2:15pm
Yes, you can file at any time.
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-23-2007 - 3:21pm
So I could keep my house and car?
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-23-2007 - 8:46pm
Yes.
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-27-2007 - 5:13pm

Hi there! Just a quick note to welcome you to the board :) You've received some great advice and I hope you keep coming back with any questions and to keep us updated on what you decide to do!

Kerri Kerr
Sr. Community Moderator
Home & Garden | Food
iVillage.com