3 creditors on CR for same account

iVillage Member
3 creditors on CR for same account
Sun, 07-22-2007 - 10:10pm

We received a collection notice for an old account 3 months ago. We sent out validation letter and did not receive any response. I checked our credit report again today. The collection agency we received letter from removed thier statement for collections, but now the same account is listed by 3 different agency names.

I am really confused. On Equifax they are listed as MGM (or something like that), on Experian they are listed as Fairway, then on TransUnion they are listed as F&W, LLC. None of these collection agencies are who we sent our debt validation letter to. The account number is the same for all 3 of these new collectors.

We are so close to really cleaning up our credit scores and our credit score has actually improved, but stupid things like this keep setting it back.

What should I do? Should I contact the credit agencies and dispute the listing? What do I say? That I already dealt with this account with a different collection agency? Help!

Edited 7/22/2007 10:11 pm ET by lasse52606

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-23-2007 - 1:25am
If you have disputed a debt with a collection agency and they have not validated, the debt is still in dispute.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-24-2007 - 2:23am

Thanks again for the advice, Carolyn!

I have not recieved any letters or contact from these 3 collection agencies listed on credit report. Should I just send letters to whatever address I can on credit report?

Should I file a dispute with credit reporting agencies also?

Edited 7/24/2007 2:30 am ET by lasse52606

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-24-2007 - 3:35pm
In a way this new problem is sending you a message that the first collection agency/bottom feeder can't validate your debt so they
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-27-2007 - 5:15pm

Hello and welcome to the board! Keep us updated on what you decide to do and keep coming back with any questions you have :)

Kerri Kerr
Sr. Community Moderator
Home & Garden | Food
iVillage.com