I met with the BK attorney yesterday....

iVillage Member
I met with the BK attorney yesterday....
Tue, 07-31-2007 - 10:17am

and, he said I definitely qualify for Chapter 13. I don't qualify for Ch. 7 because my income is too high for one person. So, I am planning on filing Ch. 13. The attorney thinks my payments will be somewhere between $300-400 for the next five years. We will try to get it down to $300, an amount that I could definitely live with. I am planning on keeping my car and condo (the one I am living in).

I gave him a $200 deposit and he is charging me $1800 for the BK including filing for the Ch. 13. Does this sound right? Another attorney I spoke with said she charges $3K for the whole thing.

He told me to file a homestead on my condo which I am going to do this week. I also have to take an on-line course with CCCS, file my 2006 income taxes, and get some remaining paperwork to him. I am hoping to file by the end of August. I am planning on going away 8/9 - 21 and I really need to be able to relax, so the end of August is fine.

I did receive the letter from the attorney yesterday when I got home regarding the $11K on the auto loan on the car that was repoed; they are looking for their money. I haven't heard anything on the condo that was foreclosed upon, but it's still early and the BK will take care of that as well. They attorney said to refer anyone who writes or calls to him. At least that will keep the wolves away from the door, so to speak.

I am feeling a little bit better and feeling that at least an end is in sight for all of this. I appreciate the support of this board!

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-31-2007 - 12:36pm
I'm glad you met with an attorney and he's going to help you see the light at the end of the tunnel. That is great.
Community Leader
Wed, 08-01-2007 - 2:52pm
Everything you wrote is consistent with sound bankruptcy counsel and the fees are reasonable.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-01-2007 - 3:09pm
Thank you ladies. I went into Boston yesterday and completed the homestead paperwork, I'm just waiting for the final copy of the homestead declaration to come back to me in the mail. I am going to start the CCCS course on-line tomorrow, and hopefully have the 2006 income tax forms complete and the check and other paperwork to the attorney some time next week. So, yes, I am rolling right along with this. I do have some anxiety, but I know it's what I have to do. I honestly don't know where I would be right now without the support of this board, and especially Carolyn. Thanks again!
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2007 - 7:33am
That's fabulous. I agree, Carolyn is wonderful support on this board.
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2007 - 3:52pm
I have heard that the fee is included with your bankruptcy. You should only have to pay $50 out of pocket for credit counseling. Hope this helps. I am meeting with a lawyer Tuesday.
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-04-2007 - 5:10pm
Yes, that is what my attorney told me. I am trying to get up the money to pay him. I've got another $850 and hope to have the rest before I leave for vacation. Good luck with your appointment. Please post and let us know how it goes.