Being sued by Bad Debt Buyer

iVillage Member
Being sued by Bad Debt Buyer
Thu, 08-02-2007 - 8:05pm

It's a credit card I haven't paid anything on for years.

Recently I posted a helpful Chicago Law Firm web address here (under resourses) that handles law suits & class action suits against companies - primarily for improper collection practices.

I don't know if they can or will help me with this, but they've told me this bad debt buyer has little recourse to collect if they can't provide the agreement I signed with the original debt owner, proof that they are now the owners, and proof that I paid something on the account with the past 5 years (or the statute of limitiations applies) - can I even request this info at this point - and can I request it from their attorny?? What if they show up in court claiming to have those documents - I won't even know what to look for to make sure they are accurate.

My court date is 8-28-07 - this there's no way I pay this debt before then. On the other hand the Chicago Law firm I had brief contact with is telling me this bad debt buyer likely has no case against me because all too often bad debt buyers do not have the documents that the law requires them to in order to collect. But I'm not a lawer - I don't know what the right thing is to say to win my case & feel like I will fall apart in court because I'll get so nervous I'll forget what I'm supposted to say!

HELP!

Community Leader
Fri, 08-03-2007 - 12:34pm
The steps are pretty simple.
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2007 - 8:52pm

Thanks so much for the information. I definetly feel a little better - still nervous about facing them in court though & don't really have money to hire a lawyer.

Did you see my post "A great resource on our side" under Resources? Theres a great Chicago law firm, Edelman, Combs, who files a lot of class action suits against creditors. I'm sending my papers for them to review & I'm praying they will help me out.

Otherwise, I think I will have to hire a lawyer because even with all this great advice on how to proceed I'd be a nervous wreck in court & would forget everything.

Community Leader
Sat, 08-04-2007 - 11:04pm
Yes, shoprgirl, I did see that post you made for a resource.