Can court clerks help guide w/paperwork?

iVillage Member
Can court clerks help guide w/paperwork?
Thu, 08-16-2007 - 10:02pm

I'm so sorry to post again! I have to handle a lawsuit myself - no $ for lawyer.

I remember when I fell behind on divorce lawyer payments 7-8 years ago he filed a lawsuit against me. I recall going to the court house to file my answer - but was completely unsure of what I was doing. When I asked the court clerks for help they were extremely vague & unhelpful. They said they couldn't help much because it would be like they were giving me legal advice which they were not allowed to do.

Have things changed in this aspect. Often is seems you have to have some kind of legal experience to know what you are doing when you go in to file your answers and such. I was completely unsure if I was doing things right & am worried about doing things right with my case coming up on 8-28.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2007 - 9:52am
I am not a court clerk, but I work for a city. I have overheard the court clerk saying that she cannot help becuase it would be considered legal advice.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-04-2007 - 7:28pm
I do work for the Federal Courts and we are not able to give any kind of legal advice for liabilty reasons. If I accidentially gave you the wrong legal advice you could come back on the court for me giving that information. I suggest you see if your area has a legal clinic set up. Call the Bar Association also, they are helpful. Good luck.