Non US resident Credit Card Debt

iVillage Member
Non US resident Credit Card Debt
Sun, 08-19-2007 - 8:00pm

My mom lives here with me in Europe and she has just confessed that she is in over her head in Credit card Debt. I'm trying to understand what the options are as we dont own any property, work, or have any immediate family in the US although we are US citizens. Our life is good here in Europe and there is no need to ever return to the US. My credit is perfect in the US, but aside from bad credit, what could happen to my mom if she stops paying? I know the credit agencies could sue her, but what exactly happens if she never receives the summons or appears in court and looses by default? She is an older woman and we take care of her now here in Europe. She wont even get on a plane to back to the US from fear. Does anyone know EXACTLY what will happen if she stops paying? How can she be affected since she doesnt live in the US?
And we have tried working out things with the credit card company, but they will not lower the interest or work out any plan with us and the payments they are requesting are to high for us to pay ($345) and barely cover the interest($305). Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

Community Leader
Sun, 08-19-2007 - 8:25pm
Hi cynthia_italy.
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-19-2007 - 8:40pm

Thanks for the response. Just a quick question. Providian has my moms old address in Italy, but she has since moved in with us. Since they know the country, do you think they will take the time to track her down?

Thanks

Community Leader
Sun, 08-19-2007 - 8:58pm
Wish I could provide a solid answer, but it really is hard to say what Providian will do.
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-19-2007 - 9:10pm

Thanks so much. This info is really helpful. Almost all of the posts Ive read were from people who had something to loose even if it was not of substantial value and most importantly a life to live in the US. Not only is my mom worthless in the US, she is also worthless here. I own a property in the US, but I'm not the one with the problem so it shouldnt matter!

Anyway, thee credit card companies are so stupid. My mom was more than happy to make a reasonable payment for the rest of her life, but they insisted on sticking her with insane finance charges, so they shot themselves in the foot! Now they wont get a dime.

Thanks again!