How should I have handled this threat?

iVillage Member
How should I have handled this threat?
Fri, 08-24-2007 - 9:44pm

This happened a while ago, I was outraged but felt I couldn't proove this actually happened.

5 years ago I was behind on a debt that was turned over to some lawyer. I admit I avoid most calls because it's usually a bill collector & I barely have enough money to support our basic needs - I'm a single mom of 4. When this lawyer called I had a horrible migraine. My 7 yr old daughter answered the phone & tried to give it to me, but I told her I couldn't talk because I was sick. She tried to tell this man I was sick and couldn't talk - suddenly she burst into tears because he told her that I was going to be arrested and put in jail if I didn't talk to him. She was so upset, crying, begging me to talk to him so I didn't go to jail.

I was outraged enough to grab the phone & scream at him - telling him how illegal what he just did was....but with a migraine that lasted for days I didn't pursue holding him accountable - and I didn't know if I could.

What do you do when a debt collecter does something like that? What steps do you take to hold them accountable? And how can you proove what was said? The conversation was not recorded so it would be my word against his.

Community Leader
Sat, 08-25-2007 - 12:05pm
Unless you record and save