He owes me $1300!

iVillage Member
He owes me $1300!
Tue, 09-04-2007 - 10:19am

I don't know if I should be posting here or not but I am desperate.
My fiance and I are getting married in a month and are stressed out already as it is with finances. Well I did a real stupid thing and decided to help out a friend in need. He does not have a credit card and needed to rent a car because his car was having problems. Well, since he didn't have a card, I got the rental put on my credit with the promise of him that he would pay me back for the rental and more for helping him out. It was only supposed to be for a week. Then he kept saying he needed it longer and longer and then it got to a month and he finally returned it but didn't have the money for us. We didn't have the money so my fiance had to sell his bicycle to cover the charge. The guy now owes us $1300 and now isn't answering his phone. Obvisouly he isn't going to pay us back. We are now behind on bills and stuff and this is all a month before the wedding! I don't know what I am going to do! I wanted to take him to small claims court but he stopped answering his phone before I could get him to sign a paper stating how much he owes us! I do know where he lives. I guess I could drive there and demand money from him but he can just tell me to get off his property! I am freakin' out and don't know what to do. It just makes me sick I help someone out and they do this to me. My fiance had to sell a bike he still owes money on to cover the charge that hit our account. I feel so bad he had to do that.
The guy knows we need the money for wedding stuff and he still doesn't care. What are my options? Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks,
Desperate

Community Leader
Tue, 09-04-2007 - 12:50pm
Looks like you'll just have to take him to small claims court.
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-05-2007 - 11:46am

What happens with a default judgement? Will he get in trouble for not showing up? I hope so. He has a criminal record so wouldn't this cause problems for him?

Thanks

Community Leader
Wed, 09-05-2007 - 11:55am
A default judgment would occur if he failed to show up on the day your case is to be heard.
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-05-2007 - 4:21pm

Thanks, that does help a lot! I am going to try and go over there tonight and get his liscence plate number and address and see if he will sign a paper stating that he owes me X amount of money. If he refuses to do it, that pretty much proves right there that he probably won't show up in court. If he does and I lose then at least I tried and I am only out $28 but I really don't think he will show up knowing him.

Thanks again!

Community Leader
Wed, 09-05-2007 - 4:25pm
I'm really sorry you got stuck wth a dead beat borrower.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2007 - 5:05pm
Have you considered writing him a letter "threatening" to file in small claims court?