Student loan debt question

iVillage Member
Student loan debt question
Tue, 04-07-2009 - 3:38am
Need advise....If someone had a student loan debt from over 25 years ago and they got married, would the new spouse be obligated to have his income tax with held because of an un paid debt of 25 plus years prior by new spouse?
"IMAGINE" All The people, Living Life in Peace...................., "You may say I'm a dreamer; But, I'm not he only one." "Be A Dreamer and Imagine."
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-07-2009 - 1:16pm

I am not expert, but here's what I can tell you.

If you file a joint tax return, I'm pretty sure it can be taken for a debt only one of you owes. Otherwise, student loan debt remains the responsibility of the person who took the loan to begin with. The lender cannot come after the spouse for the debt.

Student loans can be forgiven or put into forbearance in some circumstances. Permanent disability should qualify. Did this person contact the loan company when the disability happened and request a forbearance? I have no idea what the regulations are after 25 years, but if someone cant pay nowadays because of medical disability there are ways to deal with the loan. Has this person contacted the lended recently to try to settle the debt?

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-08-2009 - 3:44am
Thank you for your reply. Yes this person attempted to explain and show proof of permanent disability and was hounded to death all over again by the debt collector to the point they almost had a nervous break down over it. There was no reasoning with the loan provider, just nasty threatening harassment. I will look into the situation more and see if it can be written off. Again,Thank you for your quick reply. It meant a lot.
"IMAGINE" All The people, Living Life in Peace...................., "You may say I'm a dreamer; But, I'm not he only one." "Be A Dreamer and Imagine."