Credit Card Debt-Summons (NY)

iVillage Member
Credit Card Debt-Summons (NY)
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 2:44pm

Hello,

I have asked several questions on this subject and since I have come to learn more on this I thought I would share, however if anyone has anything to add or share frome thier own experience I would so appreciate it. I aslo want to thank those of you who responded in the past as your info was very helpful.

First let me say i live in NY Orange county. I have a ton of Debt my fault and i am trying to pay it back.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 5:47am

Are the credit cards in both your names. If they are just in your name. It is only you that they can garnishee. Not your husband.

If the accounts are just in your name then I would make sure your name is taken off the checking account as soon as possible. So they can not attach it. Checking accounts can be wiped out if they are "and or "

Now if the accounts are in both your names then they can garnishee both of you and all your jobs. But I believe they must give you a certain amount of money for food and such first before they can take the rest of the money. You will have to check on that.

If the accounts were just in your husband name then his accounts and jobs will be taken not yours. I would start closing all checking and saving accounts now.

I am sorry you are having so much of a problem. Remember this what ever money is taken there is always a ton of court cost added to it first for the court and the garnishee that is taken first out of the money they take and interest. It might come to the point where you will be more in debt then get out of debt with the garishees

Sorry

Mary Ann

I would see about having yard sales and such to get some cash together and at least try to knock the smallest bill out as soon as possible. Then all you will have to do is worry about the other two. Also they will put a lien on your house if you are a homeowner Lien come with interest. So the longer the lien stays on the home

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 8:04am

Mary Ann,

Thank you for responding,

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 10:18am
Elly,
Make an appointment with a bankruptcy attorney TODAY if possible. The first visit is free (usually) -- bring all the information you have with you (credit card accounts, other accounts, the summons and all that) -- you should be able to put a stop to all of this -- make the appointment and find out your options. Do it today.
Megan
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 2:00pm

Megan ,

I called my attorney he had helped me with my bankrupsy when I got divorced a few years ago..I can't claim again and he said there is nothing he can do, he would only be taking my money unnecessarilly.

I was also wondering If your accounts are frozen-do they just wipe out whats in there? or can they only take a portion and must leave you something to live on-what if you have checks pending for rent-utilities etc???

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 3:48pm

No I have never been sued but I used to work for a collection lawyer years ago. So I pretty much know what the process is when it comes to collecting a

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 5:43pm

I had one creditor sue me and get a judgment back in 2004 I believe.

Wedding
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 6:15pm

Jennifer,

Thank you very much I appreciate your sharing your experience.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 6:21pm

Mary Ann,

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 6:23pm

Here are a bunch of links that I got from the court website.

Wedding
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 6:34pm

Jennifer,

Pages