How long does it take for ...

iVillage Member
How long does it take for ...
Thu, 06-18-2009 - 1:38pm

A creditor to summons you to court?

We are going to file bankruptcy and one lawyer we met with said to stop making payments on any credit cards that we haven't used in the last three months.

I have two bills that came in and I can't afford to pay the min pay but I was thinking of sending them a small check, $10 just to keep them at bay.

We won't be able to file until Sept, I mean I know we can file now but 3 months will be in Sept and we don't have the money to file yet so I don't want to get a summons to go to court before we actually file.

Taking it day by day...

Taking it day by day...

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-18-2009 - 4:27pm

It takes 90 to 120days for an account to be charged off. They will not sue until it is a charge off. So figure from the last time you paid them then you will know when they can sue you.

Mary Ann

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-14-2009 - 10:12am
Follow your lawyer's advice, don't drop any more money down into the money pit. When they call about the amount due, tell them you are filing bk. Give them your lawyer's name and phone number. When we were going through this, anyone that called was always very nice. They took down our lawyer's info and wished us good luck. And, we were like you, we knew we were going to file, but it took us a long time to actually file (like a year). The creditors would call back every 2-3 months. But, we will still just say, yes we are still going to file, here's our lawyers info again.
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-16-2009 - 7:07am

Thanks for posting, stopthecycle

That was a great question. I'm sorry you're in such a difficult situation and I hope things get better for you fast. Hang in there and please let us know what happens. GL!

Amanda