Questions about credit card debt summ...

iVillage Member
Questions about credit card debt summ...
Tue, 07-28-2009 - 6:35pm

Hello all, I have been reading some of the posts on here and doing my own online research about a situation I seem to have gotten myself in.

Recently (about 2 weeks ago) I received via certified mail a summons stating that a past credit card was suing me and I needed to respond ASAP. The question I have is about statute of limitations. I haven't heard anything from the credit card company since 2006. They sent a copy of my last statement as "evidence" and it shows the last statement date as 4/06.

I live in AR and I read online that the SOL for "open ended accounts" was only 3yrs in my state. Can they still sue me? When I signed the agreement I was in IL (military, but my state of residence was still AR). Would that make any differance?

Sorry to be so long but I just would like to get some advise before I end up talking to a lawyer or something (If it comes down to it).

Thank you,
Randomhero

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-29-2009 - 3:12am

Call your county court clerk tomorrow but the general rule is 5 years in most states. If you lived in another state I would check on the SOL in that county to by calling their county clerk also.

You just might have to pay

Sorry

Mary Ann

Community Leader
Thu, 07-30-2009 - 2:31pm

You are correct: the SOL for open ended accounts in your state is 3 years.

The SOL begins when you become delinquent.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-11-2009 - 4:26pm
on the summons there is a stamp that says it was filed in my citys clerk june 2009. i looked at my credit report and it said that the account was charged off but i dont recall the delinquent date, i will have to check again. i go to court sept 11 for it. btw i am in Arkansas not Arizona, but i still read online in a few places that the SOL is 3yrs. i am NOT trying to get out of paying it. i know that i owe them money. it is just hard to pay them back now.