How to make it through?

iVillage Member
How to make it through?
Tue, 03-09-2010 - 4:33pm

I'm not sure which folder to put this in, so I decided on this one. My apologies if it should have been somewhere else.

My husband and I are getting divorced. During the last couple of years, any debt was in either his name or my name. We have very little co-debt (if that's a word). He has some credit cards and I am unsure of the status of these cards. I have a couple of cards and mine are in excellent standing right now. We didn't have a car loan together, but I now have one in my own name. The house is completely paid off - so no mortgage payments on it.

Our financial life is very separate and has been for quite awhile. We did file bankruptcy jointly back in 2003, but that is heading towards falling off our credit reports.

Will I be responsible for any of the debt he has in his own name? I don't want to get into the court system and find out I'm responsible for part of it since Michigan is a community property type state. Also, how do I protect the vehicle I just purchased from being included in the divorce? Michigan doesn't have a legal separation option available.

I am desperately trying to rebuild my credit right now and I want to do whatever I have to do to protect the small steps I've taken!

(BTW, I went from a score of 521 six months ago to a 610 now - it isn't much, but it's something!)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 03-09-2010 - 5:23pm
Brandi, I am very sorry to hear of your divorce.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 3:39am

My new car is titled in my name only. The loan for that car is in my name only. He isn't on anything as far as that car goes.

I'm in Genesee Co - so any info you have on good attorneys in this area would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 9:11am

Sorry you are going through this. No real advice except to try to work as much out yourselves as possible before going to an attorney. My sis and her ex did this and things went pretty smoothly, they also had separate finances and he just continued with what he paid and she continued with what was hers. She moved out and he kept the house so he bought out her 1/2. They lived in PA, so may it be different but they didn't have any problems with that. I hope things go smoothly for you through this tough time.

Terri

Community Leader
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 12:50pm
Brandi, I couldn't email you through your profile, if you want to email me at tracy20745@aol.com I can give you a name of an attorney.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 4:07pm

Brandee,

Norma

"Patience is the best remedy for every trouble"- Plautus

Community Leader
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 11:20pm

Hi Brandee.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-13-2010 - 12:21pm

Huge thanks to all of you!

I was actually the one who wanted the divorce. I can't really explain what happened, but I woke up one day and realized I'd lived with unhappiness for far too long. After much soul searching, I began to realize the unhappiness didn't lie within me. It was directly caused by my soon to be ex husband. HE was the reason I was unhappy. If you're happy when someone isn't around, but down when they are -- it's time to go.. as it should be the other way around. You should be happy when you're with someone and not as happy when they're gone, ya know?

We don't have much as far as assets go. The car is in my name alone. It is titled, registered, etc to me and me alone (Go me!). He has nothing to do with it - thank goodness. This car was my first HUGE step to freedom as we'd been sharing his parents car after an unfortunate incident with our vehicles almost 18 months ago.

Once again, I thank each and every one of you for your kind words and advice. :)

Photobucket
Photobucket