new here and need advice

iVillage Member
new here and need advice
Wed, 08-25-2010 - 3:30pm

Hi, I've never posted here but have read alot of great info during the last month. I'm on medical disability and work in a pt job where I make less than half of waht I used to make. I'm not sure when/if I'll be able to return to ft work. I accrued alot of cc debt over the past 18 mos. and have been working hard to pay it down with some success. I was doing great with it until July when I needed major car repairs and my hot water heater died. I had to let a payment go on one of the cc's(I have 5) in July and August in order to pay for the repairs. I called the cc company to see if they'd work with me temporarily to lower the payment/interest rate so I could get back on track. I've been a customer with thme since '92 with a perfect payment history. The CSR would not budge and told me there was nothing he could do. My question is this: is it worth it to call them back and try and speak with a manager or something? I know my score will take a hit with the late payments but I'd rather that then them charging-off. I'm sure I could catch up if they'd work with me. Thanks for any advice.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 12:24am

Welcome to the board peony04.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 6:54pm

Exactly, I think it's worth a try :) Great job working hard on paying your credit card debt!

Steffi

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 11:57am
Hi everyone, Thanks for listening and the good advice. I have been in contact with the creditor for the past few weeks. I've been honest about my situation and persistent with them to try and help. Well today I was able to get them to lower my rate to 9% for 12 mos and get caught up with my late payment. I'm soo relieved! I know the creditor is still making money,etc. but I'd soo much rather deal with them than get so far behind that I end up