Medical Bill Questions & other bills

iVillage Member
Medical Bill Questions & other bills
Tue, 02-21-2006 - 10:41am

Hi, I'm new here and I decided to stop by and visit and found that this board is really interesting and the members seem to be really knowledgable.

Vickie

Co cl of the Dog Training and Behavior Board

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-25-2006 - 3:54pm
Thank both of you so much.

Vickie

Co cl of the Dog Training and Behavior Board

Community Leader
Tue, 02-21-2006 - 1:31pm

Here is the info you mentioned. I just posted this on another thread for the OP.

"The info you are looking for, which are your rights, can be found in the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. It is written to protect you and your family from debt harassment. Go to www.ftc.gov.

A couple years ago began my experience with this: collection calls for someone I knew (not related to) and for 2 years I endured the sporadic hassle. According to the FDCPA when a collector calls start by asking permission to tape record the conversation so that there will be no misunderstanding. Legitimate collectors (I know, it's an oxymoron) will not mind being recorded. Then ask the caller for his or her name and name and address of the collection company they are working for. You need this information to send notice.

Many times these third collection agencies will call before they mail a notice. If you have only received calls and no written notices by mail then when they call say something like this:

“I have no documentation from you. I don’t have any agreement with your company. You will need to send me something in writing by mail before I will respond to you. I will need to have all correspondence in writing. If you continue to call, I will contact that state attorney general and the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) and I will file a complaint against you for harassment.” Trying to explain their mistake is not going to get these creditors to stop calling you. You probably know this by now.

Note: this is just a script and will help you keep cool. There are a lot of suggestions to put your toddlers and young children on the phone to talk with these people and then the adult eavesdrops on an extension. This is not a game. That is not funny. Doing so is involving children in adult matters and tantamount to child abuse. So please don't do this. Never subject small children to abusive callers. It is very damaging and you have absolutely no control over what kind of revolting things and foul language nasty collection callers will use. They know the adult is putting an innocent child up to it and they won't hesitate to pollute your child's ears and say nasty things.

Now you have the information to write your letter giving notice to stop contacting you. After you have given, and they have received, written notice of your request to stop they must stop calling mandated by the rules of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Should they continue calling send a complaint to the Consumer Protection Agency.

This is how to play it "by the book." A lot of these businesses do not play by the book and you will be peppered with phone calls. Just when I thought I had gotten rid of a collection caller for someone else (who gave them my unlisted phone number instead of their number), they resumed calling and I was back at square one."

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=iv-mldebtqa&msg=5455.5

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2006 - 12:53pm

first off i would make it known to the providers that they won't get a thin dime untill they have provided the proper documentation that has been requested of them numerous times. If need be you may need to enlist the aid of an attorney to call them and demand the documentation, or file some papers with the court demanding them. (not 100% sure that you can do that through the court, but it never hurts to look into)

"Second problem.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosting by Photobucket