Prepare For Appt With Bankruptcy Lawyer
Find a Conversation
|Wed, 02-01-2006 - 5:07pm|
When you schedule and meet with bankruptcy lawyers to interview them, you will want to provide income and expense data, plus assets. Here is a work sheet to get you started. This will help you when you meet with a lawyer and it will help the lawyer give you the best opinion on how to proceed without sifting through your documents.
Name/Social Security Number/ DOB/ etc.
Full Name and Address of Present Employer: (including zip code)
You have been employed since when?
Marital Status (Specify month and year of event if it occurred in the last five years, if applicable, for each of the below):
Married Common-Law Single Widowed Separated Divorced
Month/Year of Event:
Number of dependents who rely on you for financial support:
MONTHLY INCOME - Estimated After Bankruptcy Petition is Filed.
Net Employment Income
Net Earnings of Spouse
Net Child Support
Other net income
Child tax benefit
Net Spousal Support
Net unemployment insurance Benefits
Net Social Assistance
MONTHLY NON-DISCRETIONARY EXPENSES - Estimated After Bankruptcy Petition is Filed.
Child Support Payments
Spousal Support Payments
Medical Condition Expenses
Fines/Penalties Imposed by Court
Expenses as a Condition of Employment
Debts Where Stay Has Been Lifted
MONTHLY DISCRETIONARY EXPENSES - Estimated After Bankruptcy Petition is Filed.
Property taxes/condo fees
Car lease payments
Medical Expenses (not covered by insurance):
ASSETS DESCRIPTION (list the location and best guess estimate of the value)
Cash on Hand
Cash In Bank
Household Furniture (Fully/Partially Pledged/Exempt) These are typically "garage sale" values not what it would cost you to replace these items.
Retirement Savings Plans
Loans Due to You
Cash Surrender Value of Insurance Policies
Savings Plans /Bonds
Clothing and Medical Aids
Estimated Tax Refund
Collectibles (Stamps, etc.)
House and un improved land (and how much is owed)
Automobile/Model (and how much is owed)
Motorcycle/Model (and how much is owed)
Other Motorized Vehicle (and how much is owed)
Boat/Trailer (and how much is owed)
Any Other Assets/Tools of the Trade
List all debts, including secured debts and utilities.
Provide: Creditor's Name, Address, and Account Number, and Estimate Amount Owing
1. Within the last twelve (12) months, have you sold, disposed of or transferred any of your assets (vehicles, property, stocks, bonds, furniture, etc) If yes, list the asset, when, to whom and how much you made. Where did the money go?
2. Within the last twelve (12) months, have you made payments in excess of regular payments to any creditor? Y/N
3. Within the last twelve (12) months, have you had any assets seized by a creditor? If yes list the details.
4. Do you expect to receive any sums of money, or any other property within the next 12 months, which are not related to your normal income? Y/N
5. List the banks that you are currently dealing with, including safe deposit box (and list the contents).
6. Does anyone owe you any money? If yes, list details.
7. Are you a beneficiary of a will or will you receive an inheritance? Y/N
8. Has anyone started legal proceedings against you? Y/N
9. Do any of your debts arise from:
A fine or penalty imposed by court? Y/N
Credit purchases of luxury goods or services in the last 60 days? Y/N
Loans or cash advances in the last 60 days? Y/N
Debts from willful injury to another person or another person's property? Y/N
Child Support or Alimony? Y/N
Student loans? Y/N
Recent income tax debts and all other tax debts? Y/N
Fraud, embezzlement, misappropriation? Y/N
Debt for personal injury or death caused by your intoxicated driving? Y/N
Obtaining property by fraudulent misrepresentation? Y/N
10. Last year you filed an income tax return?
Did you receive a refund? Y/N
Are there arrears owing? Y/N
Is there a copy available? Y/N
11. Are you paying/receiving any Child support or alimony payments? Y/N