Calling all Bankruptcy Board posters!!

iVillage Member
Calling all Bankruptcy Board posters!!
Thu, 02-02-2006 - 11:55am

So.... they decided that closing down our bankruptcy board was going to silence us??? or stop the discussion of Bankruptcy? or make bankruptcy hide and retreat back into the closet that it was once forced to lurk in? NOT A CHANCE!!! They can close down our board, but you are not going to make me feel one bit ashamed or sorry that I filed BK to save myself. There is nothing shameful or bad about filing BK.

All posters who previously posted on our very animated and lively board need to come over to this board and continue to post! We need to spend just as much time here and load up this new bottom listed folder (what that on purpose?) with our questions and issues and chatter. Don't let them stop our board from existing. Just because you have already filed doesn't mean you don't have information to share and can't help others make their decision. With the new laws there are going to be thousands more who need advice and help understanding how BK works and all the steps you go through during the process.

Bankruptcy is a viable option for everyone to consider. It is a right in this country to take advantage of the federal protection allowed to every citizen to stop harrassment from blood sucking creditors who long ago got the money you owed to them. Bankruptcy no longer has the "scarlett letter B" enblazened on our chest for dead-beat who didn't bother to pay her bills. Your life does not end when you file, in fact it just begins. You are the new best friend of every creditor out there. You are the perfect car loan candidiate, you can even get a great mortgage at comperable rates to anyone who hasn't filed.

Bankruptcy has come out of the closet and now sits right up front with it's head held up high. Closing down our board will not silence us. Make sure you post here. Come often and post frequently!

sweetpea

sweetpea

Pages

Community Leader
Thu, 02-02-2006 - 12:50pm

It's great to see you over here sweetpea.

I'm so happy you are speaking up. Negativity towards bankruptcy is so damaging and unfair. This aspect of debt is very real and millions can attest to the bias and myth of bankruptcy. That's why it's great to see you reassuring people that financial situations, unemployment, escalating costs, voodoo economics and an economy that is in the dumper does have a direct impact on managing our personal finances. When your back is against the wall and there is nothing left you still have options to take care of matters. You are not alone either. Over 2 million people filed for protection from creditors last year.

We do not have control over the vagaries of life. Major illness and injuries happen. Children get ill with chronic health challenges that have hefty price tags. Divorce and abandonment occur every day and most women find themselves suddenly living at poverty level and saddled with all the bills. To think creditors will be "nice" and "charitable" is a farce. Creditors are in the business of making money. Creditors are businesses that have your signature on an agreement with them. The agreement is written in the creditor's favor. The creditor will exercise all legal rights available to get your money and satisfy your debt. The creditors have offices full of lawyers to sue those who are not paying their bills. Why you are not paying your debt has no relevance. Your contract will be enforced. Period. End of story. If you want charity, go to a church or service group, but don't waste your time seeking charity from MBNA, CitiBank, VISA, MasterCard, etc.

There are many ways to get out of debt and all legal means are honorable. It's not doing something that will put one in peril. We don't have debtors prisons, but you sure can be put in jail for failing to pay child support debts, and you will be sued for failing to pay your bills to your creditors. Paying in full, debt settlement and bankruptcy are all available and legal. It is NOT a value judgment of who you are. It's the business of taking care of debt. What you do is your business and if we can be of assistance with information and support, then be sure to post.

Bankruptcy's origins are first found in the Bible and form the basis for modern bankruptcy laws. It is the reason one can file for bankruptcy every 7 years. It is also a right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States. So if anyone wants to question or make a value judgment, I hope they keep in mind the history of bankruptcy and the fact that we do have rights guaranteed under our Constitution that apply to to all in this country and bankruptcy is one of our rights.

Off soap box.

Carolyn

Atta'girl sweetpea.

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-02-2006 - 8:54pm

I was surprised to see that board close as well.

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2006 - 9:34am

Made it! I was shocked to see such an active board close. There are plenty of other boards with no CL that are still active. Hmmmm!

Anyway, just want to echo that BK is NOT the end of your life; rather, a chance at a new beginning. It's one of the wisest decisions we ever made.
Not for everyone or every situation, but for a lot of people, it's the only sensible one.

Chris

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2006 - 9:45am

Welcome to the board! I loved reading your post! It is so true what you say, there is this negative stigma attached to people who file bankruptcy. Unfortunatly there are just a few people out there who ruin it for everyone else! my mom had a friend who would charge up her credit cards and every 7 years file and get them all wiped clean. she was such a lowlife. after the 3rd time of doing this the judge ordered her to re-pay the debts herself, she ended up getting everything re-poed. serves her right!

I was so dissapointed when they changed the laws. it just makes it damn near impossible for people to file. my best friend is buried in a mountian of medical bills (had her 1st son with no insurance and had to have 2 surgeries when she was pg.) and her second they had medical insurance but the birth still cost her over $2,000. They scrape by each month and have to endure the harassing phone calls. i sent her info on the Chapt. 13 some one posted above. hopefully it will be able to help her!

Welcome to everyone else from the Bankruptcy board! Look forawrd to posting with all of you!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Derek & Linsey's Cruise to Mexico
Daisypath Ticker

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosting by Photobucket
Community Leader
Fri, 02-03-2006 - 11:05am

Hi Chris! Great to see you again!!!

"There are plenty of other boards with no CL that are still active. Hmmmm!"
You are totally right-on-target.

Hang in there my friend.
Carolyn

Community Leader
Fri, 02-03-2006 - 11:16am

Great post gotpictures.

This is not the end of bankruptcy reform. Bankruptcy has been around since the beginning of recorded time and there has been reform after reform after reform. The current reform will be changed again down the road as the political winds change. Until then we can do our best to educate people with facts and information, dispel the lies and myths perpetuated by those who are ignorant of facts and law, and offer positive words and support for those who are in serious debt.

Abuse of all laws and processes occur in this world. Abuse of bankruptcy has occurred and will continue to occur. The individual you wrote about is one of many. But the greatest abuse of bankruptcy law is Sears. They hold the record. Eventually those who think they can get away with their schemes do get caught. Just ask the fine folks who brought us Enron and Worldcom.

Carolyn

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2006 - 2:27pm

The great thing about Bankruptcy lawyers is that almost all of them have FREE consultations.These guys are nice, non judgemental and understanding. This is their business. It's better to find one that specialized in Bk because they Tell your friend to make herslef and few easy lists and get out the phone book and look for a few BANKRUPTCY lawyers and go see them. All she needs to take with her is their salary total each month, a list of all her expenses.....listing everthing she can think of including household expense, personal items, etc., and a list of all the bills she pays that are credit cards, loans, doctor bills.....stuff like that.

The lawyer needs to be able to do a means test, which means that they need to make sure you qualify income wise, and which Chapter you might fit into. Bankrupcty is exactly for just this thing...unexpected medical expenses that make it impossible to live a normal life. I had years and years of medical expenses and still can't work to this day. Imagine what losing one whole income does to your ability to pay your bills, on top of adding tons of doctor bills and new meds to take! All the while having the government tell you you don't qualify for social security benefits because you can still wash yourself and put on make-up. But that's another rant for another day!

Your friend needs some advice from knowledgeable attorneys so she can start to live again and enjoy life. Thanks for the post! Come back often.

sweetpea

sweetpea
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-04-2006 - 7:26pm

Hi Sweetpea,
I think the problem with the folks on the old bk board is the way the board was closed. No warning and no input from anyone that posted on the board. I emailed to complain, and was told it would be forwarded to whoever. There was no reason at all for the board to have been closed. It was a busy board. If ivillage message boards are supposed to be for help and support, why was one of the most helpful boards shut down. And why no chance for anyone to complain and keep it open? Whoever makes these decisions made a bad choice on this one and needs to correct it. If the boards are really for the support of the members, then why not admit it was a mistake and open the board again. I have been staying clear because of this. My own protest. I think others are doing it too. It makes me angry that the members voices don't seem to count for major decisions like this.

We may not have a cl in name, but Carolyn, (our old cl) is still around and has been one in spirit. She has welcomed folks and answered questions for people that really needed guidance. So have you Sweetpea. I still laugh about some of the comments I remember you posting. The one about the coffee can was helpful to me. I checked the board every day and posted so others could learn from what I had gone through. So the excuse of no cl doesn't wash.

What galls me is the fact that no reason was ever given. We still have no idea why it was closed. I still want to know. I will check this board and help when I can, but I am still angry about the way this happened.

Hi to all the other bankruptcy board folks. And hello to all on this board. This post is not a shot at or in any way demeaning to you all. It IS the way I feel about the way this was done.

Kathy

Edited 2/4/2006 7:28 pm ET by kathy309

Edited 2/4/2006 7:53 pm ET by kathy309
Community Leader
Sat, 02-04-2006 - 8:53pm

Bless your heart Kathy. It's been a long, rough road for you and the others from the Bankruptcy Q&A messageboard. It was a safe place for us to visit, mingle around, share our experiences and knowledge, offer support and encouragement as we lived through the emotional side of bankruptcy. You would think with over 2 million people having filed bankruptcy those would be qualifying numbers. But business is business and that's what this is about: traffic to boards and hits. The higher the traffic to the board the more exposure to all the ads you see everywhere (and if you have pop-up blockers you don't see most of it). Our board had good traffic counts and times with a CL, times without a CL, times with a CM and times without a CM. So why then was the board closed? We all have our varying opinions.

But iVillage doesn't need to give anyone a reason for closing a board and wiping it out off the messageboard index. Color schemes are changed. Boards change. Some things are emphasized and directons are changed. It's the adage "This is a need to know basis and you don't need to know." LOL!

Anywhoooooo chin up. We have one folder at the bottom of another messageboard where we can discuss pre-bankruptcy, the bankruptcy process, post-bankruptcy issues and the emotional side of bankruptcy.

So take a deep breath everyone. If we behave we might get two folders. :-)

This Humble Opinion Brought To You By Carolyn ;-)

(Hugs to all)

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-05-2006 - 9:55am

Hi Carolyn,
I was looking at all of the aspects of bankruptcy that you posted and thinking that, wow, a subject as broad as that could sure use it's own board. LOL

It's nice of you to bring some of the postings from the other board over that were so informative to all of us. Of course, it would be nice if folks could get to the other board and read the postings of the last couple of years that cover so many different subjects.
Another thing that was not considered when the board was shut down. I can go back and look up all of the info and the different website links that were posted that were so helpful, but those that are just finding this board and are new can't.

It's kind of like throwing the low fat, low cholesterol board into the cookie and dessert board. It's all food right? As long as there is a folder there to cover it. LOL

This looks like a great group of folks here though, so that's good.

I tend to get more cranky bc. (before coffee)

Kathy

Pages