Automatic Dishwashing Detergent

iVillage Member
Automatic Dishwashing Detergent
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 7:47pm
I got brave tonight and made my own up...basically because I ran out of commercially made stuff.

I even got so brave to create my own version of it. LOL!! I had read 2 different versions. One being equal parts Washing Soda/Borax. Another one being 2 parts Borax to 1 part Baking Soda (or close to that can't remember the exact amount but less baking soda than Borax).

Soooo...the Baking Soda made sense to me, the only having Washing Soda & Borax made me wonder.

I took 1/4 cup Borax, 1/4 Cup Washing Soda & 1 Tsp. Baking Soda and mixed it all together and mixed really well. LOL!!!

I have lines in my dishwasher cups to let you know how much to fill it up. I used probably 2 Tablespoons in each of the cups (pre-wash & wash). I did rinse the dishes this time around (normally I don't) but even with just rinsing they are still dirty, etc...

The dishwasher just got done and they are clean...and not only that but my dishwasher didn't leak either. ROFLMBO!!! So, I'm going to continue to use the ones I made and we will see how it continues to go. If it continues to work decently, looks like I have found a new way to cut some more costs. :)

Becky