Employers & Health Insurance

iVillage Member
Employers & Health Insurance
Wed, 09-23-2009 - 6:34am

Has anyone's employers changed their health insurance to save money for the company?

Our new health insurance through DH's work

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-23-2009 - 11:39am

Oh, that's awful! Those deductibles are just outrageous! Yikes!

I can't remember what state you live in, but in Pa you can get supplemental insurance for kids very reasonably through the state. I would think other states would do the same. Then it would at least help with your daughter's stuff!

Is she allergic to the mascara? I'm sure the doctor told you to replace it with brand new stuff? Mascara tubes are really bad for harboring bacteria. (And I only know that b/c I just graduated from beauty school, LOL!)

Amanda

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-23-2009 - 12:13pm

Oh yeah, we threw out all of her makeup. I bought all new hypoallergenic makeup to replace it. So we're thinking she just can't wear mascara...which sucks!!!

We're in Ohio. I never thought about a supplemental insurance for the kids. I'm checking that out NOW!!! Thanks so much!!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-23-2009 - 2:19pm

I just checked and we don't qualify for any kind of assistance. I'm not really surprised since DH and I both work. We definately don't bring home near enough money to put $500 back monthly for Dr. expenses + $500/mo. for premiums. Ugh!

I have some serious rebudgeting to do. See where I can cut back to put money away for Dr. visits. Ugh!

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-24-2009 - 9:18am

In my budget, that's where the EF comes in. I had to shell out $3000 for a few emergency dental procedures this past year, but we had it in savings. Now, that's probably not helpful to people who are already in a hole, but for those just starting out - never underestimate the security of a emergency fund.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-24-2009 - 11:45am

I hate our heath insurace @ work, but its always been awful and goes up quite a bit each year.

As of now I pay $200/mo (single employee) & my prescription copays are $40 regular and $20 generic.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-24-2009 - 5:52pm

Yeah, we have an EF. Paying for Dr. visits and blood tests is not what I planned my EF for. I "thought" my EF would go for bills/needs if one of us were to lose our job... or even a car repair if it was more than our auto repair fund has.

Looks like I'll be opening another savings account for medical bills only. This

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-26-2009 - 1:22pm

Wow, that is insane!!!

My mother's insurance at work is identical but the deductibles are a little less, she was almost in tears over the bite out of her paycheck when she called me. Does either of your workplaces offer a Health Spending Account or Flexible Spending Account? You can put away the money out of your paycheck (I think it's tax deductible) and draw it out as you need to.

If work doesn't offer one is there any way to pull the money out each check and set it in a virtual envelope for that stuff? I had to start doing that for my dental bills. Maybe budget in $50/payday? It can collect over time and when you reach $6000 you can stop contributing?

Sorry if this seems impractical, I don't know your entire situation.

Photobucket
Photobucket