year end goals

iVillage Member
year end goals
Sat, 09-26-2009 - 9:38pm

I was sitting down figuring out our year end goals this weekend and was wondering what everyone else is focusing on right now.

Paying cash for Christmas? End of the year vacation? Saving up for a major purchase? Paying off a target debt? Getting current?

What is your goal?

Mine is to get our sinking funds for 2010 in place before the end of 2009. It's a lofty goal but I think I can do it if I really get intense about where our money is going and what we are doing with it.

I have written in the sinking funds as a line item for our budget for 2010 so if I can pull this off, I'll always be a year ahead when it comes to having the sinking funds in place.

stacy

iVillage Member
In reply to: ma2connor
Tue, 09-29-2009 - 1:37pm

This is a great question! Thanks for posting!

My goal is to add $1000 a month to our income by New Years. Jobs are kind of hard to find around here, especially because my availablity is a bit limited, but I'm working on it. :)

Anyone else?

Amanda

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-29-2009 - 2:17pm

Before I answer the question – just a quick background on myself.

"I know God will not give me more than I can handle, I just wish he wouldn't trust me so much!" Mother Theresa

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-29-2009 - 8:32pm

Yes, I totally hate that with the coffee. I don't buy fancy coffee though (I can't bring myself to pay $3 or more for coffee), I make it at home :).

Anyway, so far as my goals. I have a few big things right now
1) Get our bills in synch with our pay cycles so we're not paying everything late!
2) Pay off 2 credit cards!
3) Cash for Christmas

The first goal will be done in October, I'll have to REALLY track where everything is going but I know we can do it. Two will fall into place once one is done and I am no longer paying late fees. Three will be easy enough to handle, we don't spend a lot on anyone but our daughter and she's getting a Big Lots/K-Mart Christmas this year; the toys are just as good and half the price. :)

Actually saving money and snowflaking will come in January after we can get the basics under control.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-30-2009 - 8:56am

Well, I am starting up a new "savings" for medical bills. That should be set up this week sometime (whenever I get a chance to make it to the bank).

Continue building our EF. We have enough for a few months of bills, but I'd like it doubled by the end of next year.

I'm hoping we can continue putting away money in our "motorcycle fund" account. DH has 2 bikes, which are 1975 and 1983. He wants something a little newer with less problems. He wants to ride more and work on them less...I'm w/ him!! We're hoping we can accomplish this by spring 2010!

That's all I can think of for now. We always pay cash for Christmas. We have no credit card debt.

Oh wait, I'm also starting to put money back for our 20th anniversary! August we were married 17 years. So I have just under 3 years to save money for a nice trip for our 30th! So that's another savings account I need to open!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-01-2009 - 6:58am

This month, we are totally redoing our budget. We've been living on half our income since we got married and saving the rest. This is so I can be a SAHM when our first baby comes along. Now, we actually have a baby on the way, and I'm quitting my job in February.

So, starting in October, we are going to revise our budget based on DH's income. The difference is we have to budget like we don't even get my paychecks. This will change the budget amounts by category.

Doing this now, we will already be used to it when I quit working and we'll have six months of my salary in savings, too.

Later, we won't use our savings for monthly expenses, but just keep adding to it by budgeting savings from DH's income. Every sacrifice will be so worth it to stay home with my kids and still have an EF.

Colleen

Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Photobucket