Tuesday is Tops!

iVillage Member
Tuesday is Tops!
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 1:38pm

Hi, Budgeteers!
How are you today? I saw a neat article on the ivillage page today - Scrimp or Splurge? And some ideas on what you should splurge on and what you should scrimp on. Here's the link if you want to take a look!
http://home.ivillage.com/slideshow/home_garden/scrimp_or_splurge_when_to_save_when_to_spend/

What do you think? What items do you scrimp on and what items do you splurge on?

Have a great day everyone!

Amanda

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 9:18pm

Hi! Happy Tuesday!

I tend to shop for the best value, which isn't always the least expensive - or most expensive - choice. So, I don't think of splurging or scrimping in terms of price.

For me, splurging is buying something special that isn't in the budget, but that we can afford. And, scrimping is going without while I can (like when my shampoo ran out, I used sample

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 1:32am

I agree with Colleen in terms of scrimping or splurging not being about price.
I don't see going without something until I can afford it as scrimping because this is the way that I lived growing up. I'm currently working on my splurges only occurring when I can afford the expense out of that week's budget - unfortunately I still have a habit of using the credit card for things that are splurges like books.

One of the things I disagree with in the link is that you should splurge on vacations. I think that this is the mindset that has people going into debt for their vacation. Personally, I believe that what you choose to do on your vacation should fit your budget - rather than choosing what you want to do and finding someway to afford it.

Lyn

bpeblink.gif picture by beautifulmandaPhotobucket

Lyn

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 8:02am

Yes! Now it's my turn to agree with Lyn (haha). I know more than a few broke people who have taken spectauclar vacations when they couldn't afford to.

I've told the story on this board about some friends of mine who were buying a house at the same time I was. This couple took an annual BIG vacation and owned a corvette, but couldn't qualify for a house. They couldn't figure out how I could afford a similar house in the same neighborhood on my own. Go figure!

I could have put a few trips on my credit cards over the years, but I'm glad I haven't. I can pay cash for a road trip to Key West or Orlando and be totally refreshed and debt free with wonderful memories when I'm done.

And it I hear one more broke person plan a pricey vacation and say "I deserve it," I'm going to lose my mind. You deserve stress and fear? Really? (argh)

Colleen

Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 12:59pm

Colleen - LOL about the feet! :)

I agree about the car - 2 to 3 years old is really good, esp, if you find one with lower mileage. Nice point about going for value!

Amanda

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 1:02pm
That's an interesting point about vacation, Lyn. It is WAY too easy to buy plane tickets, hotel stays, car rental, souvenirs - all with a credit card. It adds up fast!

Amanda