Here we go - Office Holiday Spending

iVillage Member
Here we go - Office Holiday Spending
Fri, 10-09-2009 - 8:34am

I just sliced $8 worth of onions and tomatoes for today's "Employee Appreciation" picnic at work. It reminds me that next month will be our Thanksgiving pot luck. Then, it will be time for

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-10-2009 - 7:13am

Colleen, that's a great question!

I just started my new job so I really don't know the answer yet. I'm hoping it will be minimal. We don't do a ton of gift giving at Christmas. We prefer to focus on the meaning of Christmas rather than the presents. ;) All though.... presents are nice..... lol.

Amanda

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-10-2009 - 7:57am
Congrats on your new job! Every workplace is different.

Colleen

Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-11-2009 - 1:50pm

Thankfully, no I don't get hit for stuff like that. We have a holiday potluck and tickets for a command Christmas party but that's stuff that's easily avoidable.

People are disappointed if we don't do it but it doesn't create a lot of problems.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-12-2009 - 2:45pm

I completely agree with you. There comes a time when you just have to say No!
We have a lot of potlucks and other events at our work but the place is so large that they break it up into teams....so the last one our team of 16 people had to bring buns and cold cuts ...enough for 100 people. Are you kidding me?we have 300 agents in our call centre and there were two other teams assigned to bring buns and cold cuts. Our boss offered to pick up all the food and then we just split the cost so it ended up being $7 a person.
I don't even like eating food at potlucks because I don't know who made it etc.
I don't mind when we have a small team meeting and we do a potluck lunch but on this grand scale I just don't like it.
When it's a birthday or a wedding or a birth or a death in someone's family (a person that is on my team)we pass around a card and an envelope and usually a dollar or 2 is all that's expected.
For the holidays we have a team lunch out at a local restaurant that we all pay for own lunch and our boss will usually buy us all a drink or a dessert.....but we don't do a gift exchange.

This year I am cutting way back. I'm taking a self-funded leave for 6 weeks. So I get to take 6 weeks off work...I still get paid but my pay will be reduced for the remainder of the year. I think this is a fabulous opportunity and I get a lot of things done around the house but I will have to tighten the budget a bit to allow for the decrease in pay.
I will be making a lot of gifts this year too. I'm knitting and sewing up a storm.

Nathalie

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-12-2009 - 4:52pm
Lots of ladies in my office are having babies right now, or moving on to greener pastures.
    Miss Stepmom

Advice, tale

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-12-2009 - 8:56pm

"I don't even like eating food at potlucks because I don't know who made it etc. "

I feel the same way! Enjoy your time off!

Colleen

Pregnancy Ticker

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-12-2009 - 8:57pm

"For the last gift, people were asked to contribute $20 but I can't afford that in my budget so they're okay with me donating less money."

Holy cow! I'm shocked at the amount! Somebody has a lot of nerve. I'd be embarrassed if my coworkers were asked to spend that much on a baby shower gift for me.

Colleen

Pregnancy Ticker

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-21-2009 - 8:10am
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-21-2009 - 3:19pm

Great post. I have started saying "no" to people. Like you, I have my own list of charities that I trust and like, and I include them in my personal budget. When ppl at work hit me up for a donation to another charity, I say "no, I have already exhausted my donation budget for this month" - unless they are collecting for some emergency, like for Red Cross after Hurricane Katrina...

Last year I bowed out of the office Xmas potluck - it was a busy time in my life, and I didn't want to spend the time or the money... I just said I would not participate, no explanations :)

When I was younger, I had a tougher time saying "no", but now I know what my priorities are, and refuse other people to stick their hands in my pocket! :)

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-21-2009 - 6:29pm

That's great! I find saying no gets easier for me every year.

Photobucket

Pages