Something for Saturday

iVillage Member
Something for Saturday
Sat, 10-10-2009 - 7:17am

HI, everybody!
Hope your weekend got off to a great start! I meant to post yesterday but my little boy woke up from his nap kind of early so I ran out of 'nap' to get things done, lol. So here I am, first thing in morning before I had off to work. It's so quiet here- most of the neighborhood is still asleep. Wish I was, lol.

Here's a little something for Saturday... at this time of year, I can never decide whether to run the a.c. or the heat. It gets stuffy during the day and cold at night, but we can't leave our windows open because of allergies. Last night, it was so humid I ran the ac and when I woke up this morning I was freezing! I should figure out how to program the thermostat to switch back and forth.

So what do you do? Do you make yourself comfy, or are you like a friend of mine who won't put her heat on until Nov 1st even if she's cold?

Have a great weekend!

Amanda

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-10-2009 - 7:56am

Here in Tampa, most of the year, I run the A/C at 78 in the daytime, and 76 at night. If we turn it off, the house gets hot and stuffy in just a few hours.

We run the heat between 68 and 72 in the colder months, being lower at night. This is mostly for comfort, but it's very affordable when you have a good system. When you don't, it's another story!

So, I guess now is a good to to check your system and see if everything's running ok. In a lot of places, the electric company will do a free audit and give vouchers to help you

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-11-2009 - 2:06pm

At our old place where we were paying the electric bills we had to run the heat/ac constantly as the house was so leaky. Our electric bills were ridiculous! We kept it at 72 during the summer/spring and 75 in the winter.

Now that we're in base housing and the electric bill is included we're not as watchful of our consumption. We run the ac a little cooler and the heat a little hotter.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-11-2009 - 5:26pm
We go based on the weather.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-11-2009 - 11:30pm

My husband is disabled with rheumatoid arthritis so the heater gets lit whenever it gets chilly, even if that's June or August. I used to be able to turn it off toward the end of May and not relight it until September or October but our weather has changed so much that it's just not possible to predict anymore. We've already had frost with temperatures down in the very low 30s at night and now the next few days are only supposed to be in the 50s for a high.

Photobucket