Entertainment Books - Good idea 4 u?

iVillage Member
Entertainment Books - Good idea 4 u?
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 8:22am

You know those Entertainment Books sold for fundraisers this time of year? They are about $20 and are full of coupons for your local stores and restaurants. The coupons are good from the time you buy the book

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 2:22pm

You know, I think they are a terrific concept. My DH was given 2 of them from the PTA at his school (he's a teacher). I'm sure we've gotten our monies worth even if we had paid for it.

But it does create 2 problems - there are not many coupons for the types of food that I eat, so the BOGO's aren't too helpful sometimes. AND we tend to spend more money - IE at Applebies, it's $5 off if you spend $25. Well, we had to buy an extra appetizer to get to $25. It was more food than we would eat anyway and we ended up spending $20 instead of $16 or $17. One time we got carside to go and even forgot to bring the coupon! Sheesh.

They do have some good coupons for the zoo, mini golf, and grocery store, though.

Amanda

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 4:13pm
I don't know if the Entertainment Books that you get there are the similar to the ones we have here. In my experience (I bought one last year) its easy to use enough vouchers to save the money that the book cost you, but many of the vouchers, here at least, are more geared to the vouchers being used by couples - a lot of pay for one main, get one free, not exactly easy vouchers to use when you are single.
Lyn

bpeblink.gif picture by beautifulmandaPhotobucket

Lyn

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-14-2009 - 11:55am

We really don't get our money's worth out of them but I still buy them once a year as a way to donate to the school. The reason we don't use them that much is that they mainly contain coupons for fast food and icecream places, as well as indoor playground type places where, coupon or no, the minute you get in the door you have to shell out alot of money for tickets and other games. So, we might save five or six dollars on the entrance fee, but then I end up shelling out $75 dollars for tickets for each of my three kids, which sounds like alot but they run out of tickets fast. Needless to say, we don't go there much. I'm grateful they are getting a little older now and don't even want to go to those places much anymore.

Another reason is that we live in a big city and many of the places that put coupons in those books are on the other side of town. By the time we got there we will have used up what we saved in gas money.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-14-2009 - 8:51pm
All good points! We'll see if I use much else besides the grocery coupons. Usually, I forget I have the book by February. I'm keeping it in the car this time around.

Colleen

Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Photobucket