Flu shots?

iVillage Member
Flu shots?
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 2:29pm

So what do you think about the regular flu shot and the H1N1 flu shot? Do you think that they are worth the expense and the risk because they will cut down on illness later? (IE spend ten or twenty on the flu shot to save missing a week of work or more?)

do you budget for sick days?

Wishing you all a WELL winter! ;)

Amanda

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_amandajojo
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 6:33pm

I'm all out of sick days at work, but I can take some in advance if I need to. So, I don't have to budget money for them, but they are the same as vacation time for me. Right now, I wouldn't be able to take any extra days off at Christmas if I got sick.

I went ahead and got the seasonal flu shot for the first time last week, just because I'm pregnant. I'll also get the swine flu shot whenever it's available at my OB/GYN's office. Just to be on the safe side.

Both are covered by my insurance, but I would pay for them if I had to. If I wasn't pregnant, I wouldn't. Because I'd be healthy enough to handle the flu if I got it.

Colleen

Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 9:56pm

I do think they are worth the expense, though I've yet to get mine! I don't budget for sick days, but I haven't budgeted for anything and that's about to change!!!

The 20 you spend on the shot is alot less than you will spend by missing a week at work (if you don't have sick time).

Christy

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-14-2009 - 1:39am

We get our regular flu shots every year. My DH has a compromised immune system so we do everything possible to make sure he doesn't get sick and that no one who's sick comes to our house.

The N1H1 shot is something we're still discussing. I know it's supposed to be safe and I would probably be one of the last to qualify since I don't have any major underlying health problems. He'll have to discuss whether he gets it or not with his doctor.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-14-2009 - 6:52am

We've never had the flu shot. We're not planning on getting the regular flu shot or H1N1. We all are last in line anyway.

As for sick days, DH has never had sick days. We don't really budget for sick days, but have plenty in our EF if we need it. In the last 17 years, he probably has called off work 5 times...rarely ever!! I'm salary so I don't miss any pay if I'm sick. I just have to make it up some time.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-14-2009 - 8:44am

Every time I've gotten the flu, I've ended up in the hospital with fevers over 104, so I will definitely be getting the shots.

stacy

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-21-2009 - 3:04pm
definitely a good idea to get flu shots! And a must for pregnant women or those with weak immune systems.
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-22-2009 - 1:19pm
My DS has already had his seasonal flu shot, and that is covered by insurance. DH and I will get ours at a clinic for cheap. As for H1N1 - we're still debating, but we'll probably get it for our little guy. I'm guessing that will be covered by insurance as well.

Amanda

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-24-2009 - 12:00am
I think that for about $20, they can be a bargain. My brother who was only 50 years old at the time with no known health problems evident from a full physical a month prior had a beastly case of the flu but recovered in about 10 days. A week after that, he had a major coronary event. The cardiologist suggested that the inflamatory effect of the flu may have been a major contributor to his attack. He was out of work for four months and in the hospital for a total of 22 days. He gets an annual flu shot now.

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-25-2009 - 9:18am
Glad to see I'm not the only one to forgo the flu shot. I know too many people who get the shot then get the flu anyway. Just try to boost my immune system by making healthy choices and continuously sanitizing my hands.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-27-2009 - 1:38am
My late mother in law got it *every* time. Within 48 hours always. Poor thing. I have found lots of fresh garlic for us to be a good thing:) Handwashing, making sure to wipe down doorknobs, light switches, oven knobs etc
I use a blend of lemon and eucalyptus essential oil for that
anon for this one

Pages