Marriage and Money

iVillage Member
Marriage and Money
Mon, 10-26-2009 - 12:21pm

Here's a neat article on money personality types.... please note that this is from a Christian site and God is mentioned at the end of the article. There are some good thoughts that could apply to anyone, married or not. Check it out if you feel like it!

http://www.crosswalk.com/11610012/

Would love to read all your tips on money and relationships! Feel free to add yours. :)

Amanda

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-30-2009 - 8:52pm

My DH has the same outlook on finances that I do. So, I don't have any advice to married folks, but to the single ladies - choose wisely! And, if you're not sure what he thinks about money, ask him.

Before we got engaged, DH and I went through a book together called "1001 Questions to Ask Before you Get Married." It has a whole section on money that can help you and your sweetie open up the money discussion.

Most important though is to open the lines of communication before you get married. If your sweetie can't talk about money when your dating - or if you don't like the answers - then, buyer beware!

Colleen

Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-01-2009 - 10:35pm
Colleen, We did a book like that, too! Maybe even the same one. :)

Amanda

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-02-2009 - 8:25pm

DH and I are at odds on money personalities...

I love to save up for big purchases (like a house or a vacation) and have a good down payment; he would prefer to do a 100% finance on big purchases and use whatever cash and credit is on hand for whatever he wants to buy. I HATE having credit card debt, but he doesn't seem to care.

The best thing to do is have the money discussion in the late dating/engagement phase. If I had known some things about his spending habits BEFORE we got married I think I would have waited for him to mature a little. If it's too late for the discussion, just roll with it as best you can. Snowflake little bits of money and change towards debt or savings as the chances of large amounts ever making it there are unlikely. Some of the big things I've noticed

1) Have a BIG overall goal, DH only got on board with saving and not spending as much when I told him he could get a new shiny truck in a few years. ( Kinda like a small child).

2) RECEIPTS. I can't say how many times we've overdrafted our account because I thought we had money for something we needed but DH went out and blew $50+ on something he wanted and forgot to tell me. So, keep and ask DH to give you (or give to DH if you're the spender) ALL the receipts even for gas.

3) Try and work some wiggle room/fun money into the budget. I know it's not feasible for everyone, but it makes things easier in the long run.

Well, off to sort through a mountain of receipts and balance the checkbook. Laters :)

Photobucket
Photobucket