How to Budget when there is no fat?

iVillage Member
How to Budget when there is no fat?
Fri, 10-30-2009 - 11:13am

I was wondering if some of you ladies could help me with some suggestions.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-30-2009 - 2:28pm

Hi, kimble2eyes. Glad you could join us :) So, you're pretty much down to bare bones on stuff? Can I ask a couple questions?

-How is your food budget? Could you cut it back?
-Do you use coupons to help with some expenses?
-Could you maybe pad the budget a little with a part time job?
-How about insurance? Cheapest rate there is?

Those are the big three I think of with regards to your post since there isn't a lot of detail on other expenses. I'm trying to think of other categories, I'msure they'll come to me but just a couple thoughts.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-30-2009 - 7:21pm

Welcome! Simple answer - get more fat! Time to start cleaning houses and delivering pizzas?

I heard Dave Ramsey say something yesterday to the effect of you can't outcheap an income that's too low. I wish I could remember exactly how he said it.

As for savings, look at big expenses like your electric bill and car insurance. There could be savings to be found there. How about a prepaid phone card?

Or, another tip from DR - sell so much of your stuff the kids and dog think they're next.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-31-2009 - 9:53pm

Thank you fjor your reponse Navy wife.

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-01-2009 - 6:43am

lol I'm beginning to think it is tradition. I just recently started with coupons and they are useful. So, you've made cuts where you can.

Any possibility for a part time or work from home job?

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-01-2009 - 8:04am

I would look at the spending you do in other areas.

Walk when you can, instead of driving.

Consider the cost of taking public transportation vs paying for car gas and parking for certain trips.

Combine trips when you can.

Shop loss leaders, cook from scratch and avoid processed and convenience food items.

Look at turning off lights to conserve energy.

Lower the thermostat and put extra blankets on the bed.

Consider investing in hair trimmers ($30) and cutting your dh and sons' hair yourself.

Shop second hand clothing stores for clothing for your family.

stacy

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-01-2009 - 7:54pm

The only thing I can think of that always keep us on track is to make a meal plan for a week or two in advance. This is the best way to stay on track... making sure you use what you have and you can incorporate the coupon savings items and loss leaders easily this way too.

Nathalie

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-01-2009 - 10:32pm

Hi, Susan!
Welcome to the board! I'm so glad that you joined us here. Thank you for sharing your story. The other PP's have given you some really great advice, and it sounds like you've done a great job trimming your expenses. My only other suggestion would be to try to write down everything you and your family spend for a month, and then go over it and see if there are any more holes you can plug.... maybe there are a few things squeaking by.

Wishing you all the best!

Amanda

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-03-2009 - 9:57am

Hi Navy Wife

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-05-2009 - 9:12pm

Emphysema is difficult, my stepfather had a severe case of it and my MIL is developing it. It's awful to see, never mind go through.

Sounds like you've done what you can so I wish you luck with everything.

Photobucket
Photobucket