The holidays are closer!

iVillage Member
The holidays are closer!
Sat, 11-07-2009 - 6:25am

How's everyone doing with their holiday preparing? Shopping? Budgeting?

I've taken advantage of some of the Thanksgiving sales at the grocery stores. My Christmas shopping is pretty much done. I think all I really have left is stocking stuffers. Sometimes I'd almost rather not have stockings cuz I never know what to put in them. It was so easy when my boy was into matchbox cars!!

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-07-2009 - 1:26pm

I got a great head start on my Christmas shopping, but still have more to do. I would like to be done by Thanksgiving.

Other than that, I haven't done much of anything. I guess I need to get on the ball. We're into November, for Pete's sake! How did that happen already?

Colleen

Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-07-2009 - 3:56pm

This year our family on both sides have made a pact to simplify Christmas. On my side we are going to buy $10 gift cards and make a game out of it kind of Texas auction style. Our kids are all older now so it should be fun.

On my husbands side we are taking a family vacation to New Hampshire (my MIL is paying)up in the mountains. This will be the first time my 15, 17 and 19 year olds have ever seen snow! This is a perfect Christmas gift for all of us! We will only buy for our two nephews ages 1 and 3.

For my boys they will prob each get 1 big gift (like a cell phone) and maybe a few other things.

This is the first holiday season I feel very relaxed!

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-07-2009 - 6:08pm

hahahaha... haven't even started my christmas shopping.

I have the money budgeted out and I need to start withdrawing it, but I get out of work early enough that I can avoid the crowds. The only gift I think will be an issue might be the play-kitchen set I want to get my daughter, it's about the cost of three presents so she'll get that and maybe one or two other things. Gotta see how money looks.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-08-2009 - 8:17am

I've been done my shopping for months and we don't do stockings. Gift giving is a very small part of our holiday celebration so we don't make a big deal of it.

Have you considered doing consumable stockings? When we did do stockings I often filled the bulk of the stocking with a bottle of my son's favorite soda, a rolled up comic book or two, packet of instant oatmeal for breakfast, packet of hot cocoa mix, package of gum and dried fruit and nuts. Toys and other "gifts" were never put into stockings in our home, always consumables.

stacy

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-08-2009 - 7:34pm

I love that Texas auction idea! If you can share any details, I'd appreciate it. That might work for my sisters and our families. It's getting expensive, with all the in-laws we've added over the years!

My dad's family was HUGE and when we would go up there for Christmas, we would always draw names and you wouldn't know who drew your name until you got the gift. That was kind of a game, and so joyful.

Enjoy the snow, too! It sounds like you will have a really special holiday with your family.

Colleen

Pregnancy Ticker

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-08-2009 - 7:38pm

It's funny you say that about consumable gifts. My sister has three little boys and a small house. She always tells us to not buy toys for the boys, especially games with lots of pieces, because it just turns into unusable clutter, scattered all over their rooms. So, I always make a point to buy them consumables. Usually art supplies.

This year, I got them an experience gift. I'm going to make a little

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-08-2009 - 7:48pm
We are just going to purchase $10 GC's that most people like: restaurants,Barnes and Noble, Target, Starbucks, etc. Then we will draw numbers. You then select your gift in number order with the catch that someone can chose to take yours instead of picking a new one. The person who gets the #1 draw gets the first pick and also has the choice at the end to pick any GC that they want. Not sure if we are going to wrap the GCs or not as this will be our first attempt at this. Should drag out the gift opening and provide a few laughs too. We'll see...

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-08-2009 - 7:56pm
Oh, that sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks.

Colleen

Pregnancy Ticker

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-13-2009 - 1:22pm
Stocking stuffers can really get expensive! Little things seem to add up quick, too.

Amanda