Electric Bill - cool!

iVillage Member
Electric Bill - cool!
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 7:54am

The weather is cool, I mean, here in Tampa. So I haven't had

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 9:16am

I live in New Hampshire so our electric bill averages 65 per month.

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 2:16pm
When we weren't living in military housing I would average out the bills we had paid so far and use the average. Our bills didn't fluctuate a whole lot so it was usually around $150 a month for electric.
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 3:57pm

How do you budget for your electric bill?
I have budget payment scheme set up with my electric provider. They've calculated what I should be paying based on the previous 12 months bills (and they check it every 4 months), and then I pay the same amount every week. I know that I could do something similar myself, but by allowing them to set the payment and deduct it from my account, I ensure I get the prompt payment discount (12% of bill total) even if the account isn't in credit or paid in full. I think that they will be increasing the amount that they want me to pay soon as winter was really cold in Wellington this year so I used a lot of power.

Do you do any special home maintenance to gain efficiency and reduce the cost at certain times of the year?
I'm renting so I'm limited in what I can do to keep the bill lower. Unfortunately in the bedsit where I live, one of the walls is almost all floor-to-ceiling windows which makes it difficult to heat during cooler times. I do make sure the curtains are drawn to keep as much heat as possible in though. Other than that, its the usual stuff that saves money year round that I do - CFL lights, using the microwave instead of the stove where I can, cold water laundry washes, turning things off at the wall, etc.

Lyn

bpeblink.gif picture by beautifulmandaPhotobucket

Lyn

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 4:52pm

In the winter, our gas and electric bill is generally $80-90 per month.

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-23-2009 - 2:03pm

Nice Savings, Colleen!

We have caulked and caulked like crazy (LOL), have an energy efficient washer and dryer (front loader!) and central air unit, run the washer and dishwasher at night when electricity is cheaper, and in the winter when its really cold we'll put throw blankets over any drafty spots so we don't feel cold.

Our electric bill is a lot less than most of the houses in our area. Yeah! ;)

Amanda

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 9:39pm

by allowing them to set the payment and deduct it from my account, I ensure I get the prompt payment discount (12% of bill total)

I wish MY electric company (or gas co.) offered that option!!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-04-2009 - 7:43am

"by allowing them to set the payment and deduct it from my account, I ensure I get the prompt payment discount (12% of bill total)"

That is a big chunk of change! I don't like the idea of giving them access to my account, though. Unless it's just an auto-payment. I'll have to look into that here.

Colleen

Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-05-2009 - 1:24am

I don't know what discounts the utility companies in the US would offer, but I definitely appreciate the savings I get from my electric company.
I totally agree with you about being uncomfortable with allowing access to my account in that way - with this company, the way the contract is written the payment is the same amount each week (or whichever frequency the person paying opts for) and if they want to change the amount, they have to give at least 10 days written notice. They definitely give me the written notice, so I've never had problems. I don't know how you refer to it, but here the payment method is referred to as direct debit.

I know other companies such as my phone provider offer direct debit as well - but it basically gives them the permission to take the balance of the bill (which changes with long distance calls) out on the due date and I would rather know how much will come out of my account and when.

Lyn

bpeblink.gif picture by beautifulmandaPhotobucket

Lyn

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-05-2009 - 6:55am

That sounds like a good deal. My security alarm company gave me a discount for letting them pull the set payment out of my account. It sounds like the same thing.

I've had to monitor my account to see if they took the payment each month. They accidentally stopped pulling the payment after we transferred our service to our new home.

Photobucket